• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1st offense grand larceny, sentencing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gsankeyjr

(Rhode Island)

I'm 19 years old, and i have no previous record whatsoever. Me and two friends went out one night and they were going in and out of unlocked cars, they came across one with three laptops in it. Two were sold and one was recovered by the police. Although i didn't physically take the laptops, i understand that my involvement makes me just as guilty.

In opinion, and through possible experiance, i'm looking to find out what i may be looking at as far as sentencing and parole. I don't even have a juvenile record. I'm going to college in January and i've been going to counselling to turn my life around since it has started to take that downward spiral. any help?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

dave33

Well, parole should not be an issue. You mean probation, and suspended time. If you plead guilty to a felony, than I would estimate somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-3 years susp/prob. Than about $1000 court costs plus restitution. Although there seems to be alot of things going on in your case. Like more than 1 person,1st criminal charge,also maybe if your admission of drug use as the motivating factor makes it to the police report, than diversion is possibly an outcome. Although, diversion is very rarely offered in R.I. for anything other than possession charges,although it has happened. Talk to your attorney.

gsankeyjr

thanks

thanks for the input, it's helping my understanding on the situation a bit more, i am looking for some more replies, so if anyone has anything else to offer the thread please do!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">