• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

3 driving with suspended license over 4 years - how screwed am I?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Icapture

So I'm tired of stressing like crazy over the fact that I have no license and that if I get pulled over again I would expect nothing less than being arrested. This being true I have decided to just go to court and face the music. All I want is to just be a legal driver and not come close to a heart attack everytime I see a cop anywhere near me while on the road.

My question is this. What going to jail be a possibility? Or is this something that community service and further suspension of license is the most severe punishment?

Here are some facts. I live in Southern Cali. I'm 25. The reason my license is suspended in the first place is because I didn't show up to court for a speeding ticket. I was doing 80 at midnight on the freeway, barely any cars, and being a stupid kid I decided to slowly pass a city cop (who was also going 80) thinking he couldn't pull me over. I was wrong. So I didn't show up for the ticket. Then - probably around 8-12 months later I was in a party town driving. I was confused where I was going, and touched the line. A cop, who was out looking for drunk drivers and was pulling over anyone who gave him a reason with the hopes that they'd been drinking. If you haven't been drinking then have a good day. I get the tactic, I say more power to you, drunks should not be on the road. Problem was, when I gave him my license, reg, and insurance my license came back that it was suspended. Now, I'm not gonna lie. I knew it was suspended. I got a letter in the mail. But I told the cop I didn't. He gave me a ticket but let my date drive the car since she had a Swedish drivers license.

The second time I got pulled over was around 8-12 months later. Different car. I was at a stop light, made the left turn, and into a gas station. As I entered the station a cycle cop pulls me over. Says I wasn't wearing my seatbelt. I told him it was a new purchase and that the seatbelt didn't work. He then asked for license, reg, insurance. Well I knew my license was suspended, but this time I didn't have any insurance. So he writes me a no license, and no insurance ticket and then proceeds to tow my car, says that since it's the second time he's impounding it for 30 days - no exception.

I then hear from a friend that if I transfer title of the vehicle then the new owner can get the car out of impound. So the day after getting pulled over I went the DMV, transferred title, and got the car out of the police impound. So I kept driving.

Third time. Probably another 8-10 months later. I was driving home and didn't see the cop behind me. I think I took the turn at the speed limit, maybe did 35 on a 30 turn. But the turn is uneven and bumpy, and my jeep has soft as hell suspension so it probably looked like I was hauling ass. If I took the turn at the 45 or 50 he said I was doing I would probably crash. He pulls me over as I'm opening the gate into my neighborhood. Again, I know I'm screwed and I better start lying quick. Now since I don't have a license I had to get a California identification card for ID. So I give him that. Tell him I don't have proof of registration or insurance. He comes back, says my license is suspended. I tell him I had no clue and that I knew it WAS but I had sent in payment for it. I live in a pretty high end neighborhood so it was probably a little more believable than if i was in a sketchy part of town. I tell him I just bought the car and I'm still waiting for the plates. I was running, and still am running, a paper dealer plate. Since the car hasn't been registered since 09' I figured a paper dealer plate is gonna get me pulled over less than if I run expired plates or no plates at all. So the cop decides not to tow my car and says not to drive until I get the license payment figured out. And let me go, but with a ticket for no license, no reg, and no insurance. I still had no insurance. ****, the car wasn't even technically mine. It was in my friends name since we never switched it back to mine. It is still to this date in his name even though it's my car and I drive it daily.

So that's it. That's the record. 3 driving with suspended license tickets. Two of which were also no insurance tickets. And one had a no registration on it. Oh and one had a no seatbelt as well. And it's been suspended for around 4 years. I would say from 2007-2011.

So what does this mean for me? Yes I've been a dumb ass and driven with a suspended license. But does that warrant jail time in the courts eyes? I'm a clean cut, well spoken, tennis playing, white kid who cleans up nicely. Unfortunately this matters to some people, if I was a tattoo'd up hard looking mexican dude I'm sure I'd be treated differently. So appearance does matter to some degree in the court, albeit a small one.

I think the only thing going for me is that fact that I'll be coming into court and showing them that I am serious about payment and settling my record. I figure if I wait till I get pulled over again and get arrested and THEN brought into to see the judge my change of heart won't be as believable.

divona2000

Move to NH .. they don't require DL to travel about the state
Really? Please post your legal cites for this.

(Hint-New Hampshire License Required (NH Statutes 263:1) )

Of course, if you are referring to riding the bus, taking a taxi, getting a ride from a friend, etc, then no, a DL isn't required to 'travel".

Last edited:

ERAUPIKE

Why do you feel the rules don't apply to you? You are on your way to being labeled as an HTO (habitual traffic offender) and seeing some jail time. The court will not care that you are a pretentious tennis playing white kid. They will look at your complete disregard for the law and sentence you accordingly.

You are on the brink of a very rude awaking. I suggest you find an attorney, stop driving, and get this sorted out before things start going very badly for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

mlane58

The court will not care that you are a pretentious tennis playing white kid. They will look at your complete disregard for the law and sentence you accordingly. If you do see some jail time, that tattooed Mexican is going to change the way you view the world very quickly.

You are on the brink of a very rude awaking. I suggest you find an attorney, stop driving, and get this sorted out before things start going very badly for you.
Those are bigoted comments and extremely uncalled for.

ERAUPIKE

Read the original post, those are the phrases the OP used to describe himself and someone that would more likely go to prison. Next time read the entire discussion before you try to inerject your opinion.

"I'm a clean cut, well spoken, tennis playing, white kid who cleans up nicely. Unfortunately this matters to some people, if I was a tattoo'd up hard looking mexican dude I'm sure I'd be treated differently. So appearance does matter to some degree in the court, albeit a small one. "

I will await your apology or an explanation of why the OP's context differs from mine. Are you implying that he is not white as he stated? Is it a reach to assume that there may be some tattooed mexicans in the California penal system?

Last edited:

Icapture

You're right - it is a bigoted comment. But it's also a true comment, and therefor I don't believe it's uncalled for. Now - creating a post that doesn't help anyone whatsoever is in my opinion uncalled for.

As for thinking the rules don't apply to me - your right. I've gotten off easy when pulled over in the past. But I know that won't happen forever, there will be a time when the cop see's me for what I truly am. A kid who thinks he's above the system. I don't want that. I want to be responsible.

Here's a question: would it be stupid of me to go into the traffic court without a lawyer and say "I'm here to take care of my tickets." I'm thinking they won't arrest me since I came in under my own free will. Or should I absolutely get a lawyer?

ERAUPIKE

You're right - it is a bigoted comment. But it's also a true comment, and therefor I don't believe it's uncalled for. Now - creating a post that doesn't help anyone whatsoever is in my opinion uncalled for.

As for thinking the rules don't apply to me - your right. I've gotten off easy when pulled over in the past. But I know that won't happen forever, there will be a time when the cop see's me for what I truly am. A kid who thinks he's above the system. I don't want that. I want to be responsible.

Here's a question: would it be stupid of me to go into the traffic court without a lawyer and say "I'm here to take care of my tickets." I'm thinking they won't arrest me since I came in under my own free will. Or should I absolutely get a lawyer?
You need a lawyer. You are 25, that makes you an adult not a kid. Start acting like one.

cyjeff

Yeah, you really don't know squat.

Do you think that a bank robber that turns himself in under his own free will won't be arrested?

You need an attorney. You need to bring a big ol' wad of cash and be prepared to be a guest of the state for a good period of time.

make sure you describe yourself properly to the other inmates. They love that.

Oh, and your chances of ever getting your license back are remote... at best.

davidmcbeth3

Really? Please post your legal cites for this.

(Hint-New Hampshire License Required (NH Statutes 263:1) )

Of course, if you are referring to riding the bus, taking a taxi, getting a ride from a friend, etc, then no, a DL isn't required to 'travel".

In NH, they allow people to claim that "driving" as defined under US Code relates to commerce whereas "traveling" means moving about in an auto w/o commerce occurring.

And in NH some tend to agree ...

Strange but true. There are plenty of youtube vids of cops pulling guys over in NH & they let them walk away w/o producing a license. Look it up.

Last edited:
There are plenty of youtube vids of cops pulling guys over in NH & they let them walk away w/o producing a license. Look it up.
Absolutely. 'Cause teh Interwebs said so. :rolleyes:

So, somehow your "evidence" of stops precludes Divona's quote of a legal cite? Really?

For the love of all that is holy, please ... step away from the computer. Please.

TiffanyM12345

So I'm tired of stressing like crazy over the fact that I have no license and that if I get pulled over again I would expect nothing less than being arrested. This being true I have decided to just go to court and face the music. All I want is to just be a legal driver and not come close to a heart attack everytime I see a cop anywhere near me while on the road.

My question is this. What going to jail be a possibility? Or is this something that community service and further suspension of license is the most severe punishment?

Here are some facts. I live in Southern Cali. I'm 25. The reason my license is suspended in the first place is because I didn't show up to court for a speeding ticket. I was doing 80 at midnight on the freeway, barely any cars, and being a stupid kid I decided to slowly pass a city cop (who was also going 80) thinking he couldn't pull me over. I was wrong. So I didn't show up for the ticket. Then - probably around 8-12 months later I was in a party town driving. I was confused where I was going, and touched the line. A cop, who was out looking for drunk drivers and was pulling over anyone who gave him a reason with the hopes that they'd been drinking. If you haven't been drinking then have a good day. I get the tactic, I say more power to you, drunks should not be on the road. Problem was, when I gave him my license, reg, and insurance my license came back that it was suspended. Now, I'm not gonna lie. I knew it was suspended. I got a letter in the mail. But I told the cop I didn't. He gave me a ticket but let my date drive the car since she had a Swedish drivers license.

The second time I got pulled over was around 8-12 months later. Different car. I was at a stop light, made the left turn, and into a gas station. As I entered the station a cycle cop pulls me over. Says I wasn't wearing my seatbelt. I told him it was a new purchase and that the seatbelt didn't work. He then asked for license, reg, insurance. Well I knew my license was suspended, but this time I didn't have any insurance. So he writes me a no license, and no insurance ticket and then proceeds to tow my car, says that since it's the second time he's impounding it for 30 days - no exception.

I then hear from a friend that if I transfer title of the vehicle then the new owner can get the car out of impound. So the day after getting pulled over I went the DMV, transferred title, and got the car out of the police impound. So I kept driving.

Third time. Probably another 8-10 months later. I was driving home and didn't see the cop behind me. I think I took the turn at the speed limit, maybe did 35 on a 30 turn. But the turn is uneven and bumpy, and my jeep has soft as hell suspension so it probably looked like I was hauling ass. If I took the turn at the 45 or 50 he said I was doing I would probably crash. He pulls me over as I'm opening the gate into my neighborhood. Again, I know I'm screwed and I better start lying quick. Now since I don't have a license I had to get a California identification card for ID. So I give him that. Tell him I don't have proof of registration or insurance. He comes back, says my license is suspended. I tell him I had no clue and that I knew it WAS but I had sent in payment for it. I live in a pretty high end neighborhood so it was probably a little more believable than if i was in a sketchy part of town. I tell him I just bought the car and I'm still waiting for the plates. I was running, and still am running, a paper dealer plate. Since the car hasn't been registered since 09' I figured a paper dealer plate is gonna get me pulled over less than if I run expired plates or no plates at all. So the cop decides not to tow my car and says not to drive until I get the license payment figured out. And let me go, but with a ticket for no license, no reg, and no insurance. I still had no insurance. ****, the car wasn't even technically mine. It was in my friends name since we never switched it back to mine. It is still to this date in his name even though it's my car and I drive it daily.

So that's it. That's the record. 3 driving with suspended license tickets. Two of which were also no insurance tickets. And one had a no registration on it. Oh and one had a no seatbelt as well. And it's been suspended for around 4 years. I would say from 2007-2011.

So what does this mean for me? Yes I've been a dumb ass and driven with a suspended license. But does that warrant jail time in the courts eyes? I'm a clean cut, well spoken, tennis playing, white kid who cleans up nicely. Unfortunately this matters to some people, if I was a tattoo'd up hard looking mexican dude I'm sure I'd be treated differently. So appearance does matter to some degree in the court, albeit a small one.

I think the only thing going for me is that fact that I'll be coming into court and showing them that I am serious about payment and settling my record. I figure if I wait till I get pulled over again and get arrested and THEN brought into to see the judge my change of heart won't be as believable.
I was in the same boat. I call it being very irresponsible. I was caught driving on a suspended license 3 times as well, had my car towed twice and had to pay loads of money to get it out. My advice to you is try and take care of these by making appointments to go to court. I live in Los Angeles so I don't know if the laws are different where you live but, your luck will run out. It did for me. I was finally caught and booked, spent one week in jail. This was the first time in my life ever getting arrested. I look white by the way but am Hispanic and believe me there is no leniency just because you look a certain way. The next time they catch you, you will be taken in and have to go through the whole process in jail just like any other person. It is the WORST place to be in, its a traumatizing experience and you are in there with people who have committed really bad crimes, murder, armed burglary...I mean hard core crimes, so unless you want to end up in a place like that. I suggest you be more responsible and take care of what you did.

Proserpina

I was in the same boat. I call it being very irresponsible. I was caught driving on a suspended license 3 times as well, had my car towed twice and had to pay loads of money to get it out. My advice to you is try and take care of these by making appointments to go to court. I live in Los Angeles so I don't know if the laws are different where you live but, your luck will run out. It did for me. I was finally caught and booked, spent one week in jail. This was the first time in my life ever getting arrested. I look white by the way but am Hispanic and believe me there is no leniency just because you look a certain way. The next time they catch you, you will be taken in and have to go through the whole process in jail just like any other person. It is the WORST place to be in, its a traumatizing experience and you are in there with people who have committed really bad crimes, murder, armed burglary...I mean hard core crimes, so unless you want to end up in a place like that. I suggest you be more responsible and take care of what you did.

Which unfortunately, Tiffany, makes the entire post completely irrelevant.

Isis1

Which unfortunately, Tiffany, makes the entire post completely irrelevant.
Actually, they both live in So Cal. So her post was kind of funny.

You know, sometimes I wish I was a hard looking tattoo'd Mexican. Just to prove the OP wrong.

Proserpina

Actually, they both live in So Cal. So her post was kind of funny.

You know, sometimes I wish I was a hard looking tattoo'd Mexican. Just to prove the OP wrong.

Oh, I realize that.

If I was a little snarky...I apologize. But the number of newbies posting admitting they know nothing of the law is just astonishing lately.

Kwim?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">