• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

...???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

imsolost

please help mee!!

What is the name of your state? Delaware

My boyfriend just got sentenced couple days ago he has been incarcerated for a 1 year and 1/2 he got locked up because he was with his friend at the time his friend committed the crime and my boyfriend was involved in a small part of it. Now he got sentenced 11 and a half years years he has 5 years minimum mandatory and he is available for earning good time.. since the state of delaware does not have parole is there any way that anything can be done since he did not have a lawyer and he didnt get to go to trial his public defender told him it was better for him to take the plea instead of going to trial but no proof was found at all on this case like the gun or anything else.. well the victims were the only 2 witnesses..is there anything that could probably be done to help him get out sooner or maybe put in a modification so his sentenced time can be reduced??

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: please help mee!!

imsolost said:
What is the name of your state? Delaware

My boyfriend just got sentenced couple days ago he has been incarcerated for a 1 year and 1/2 he got locked up because he was with his friend at the time his friend committed the crime and my boyfriend was involved in a small part of it. Now he got sentenced 11 and a half years years he has 5 years minimum mandatory and he is available for earning good time.. since the state of delaware does not have parole is there any way that anything can be done since he did not have a lawyer and he didnt get to go to trial his public defender told him it was better for him to take the plea instead of going to trial but no proof was found at all on this case like the gun or anything else.. well the victims were the only 2 witnesses..is there anything that could probably be done to help him get out sooner or maybe put in a modification so his sentenced time can be reduced??

My response:

There's nothing that can be done for him - - it's a "done deal".

However, as for you, Slappy, you may as well start meeting and dating other felony criminals because you can't do any better, and your boyfriend isn't going to see the light of day for many moons from now.

IAAL

stephenk

"is there anything that could probably be done to help him get out sooner or maybe put in a modification so his sentenced time can be reduced??"

If you give valid reasons why his sentence should be reduced or why he should be let out sooner, I will answer your question.

I

imsolost

well i know that he wants to change, he has proved it. he wants to be able to graduate and finish school and go into trying to make himself a better person during this time that he has been incarcerated he has accomplished to get his GED since the last year he completed in a HighSchool was 10th grade. He's in a YCOP program that lets juveniles get the credits they need to be able to get their GED and now he is trying to get involved in as many programs he can in this facility so maybe it can help him. He is really not a bad person he is just not the smartes person and didnt know any better. He has been surrounded by the wrong type of people his whole life from his mom to his step father to his so called "friends" who have been is jail before also he just didnt know that there was a better life out there and better people since even his parents and friends have been surrounded and influenced by these type of people for a long time. When i met him i didnt know that he had a backround like this. This is the first person that i met with these type of issues. When i met him he was in family court and he had been released and was on probation level 1 i think that he just had to go every monday with his step father to meetings to see how things were going. The boy that lived with him and his father was older and was on probation too. My boyfriend did have to meet his PO everyother week or just phone her every now and then. When we were together he did realize that there was a better life for him and he wanted to change and he did change he avoided being with they boy that he lived with because he was involved with drugs and his step father did drink all the time it wasnt a healthy environment for him but he did not tell his PO about the drugs and alcohol and weapons there was in his house because he didnt want to involve his step father or his friend because they had a no contact type of probation with the police. The night this happened he went along with his friend to talk him out of it so he wouldnt get locked up and so he wouldnt get his step dad in trouble either. The day of the sentencing he did say that he was very regretful of everything that happened and that he knows that he didnt mean things to go the way they did and that the only reason why he went along with his friend was to avoid any type of problems.
i know that he used really bad judment calls but he is really a good person and they did evaluate him before his sentencing and they got good responses from everyone in the facility and i know that he is trying to make himself a better person i just think it would be alot easier for him to accomplish his goals out here instead of him in there.. :( i just think that maybe there is something i can do to help him...since he doesnt have anyone else but me and my family.. what can i do...?

calatty

The prisons are full of nice guys with unhappy backgrounds who want to change (and never do). From what you say, there is nothing you can do. Your boyfriend did have an attorney - public defenders are attorneys. If the two witnesses identified him as a perpetrator, and he got a better sentence by pleading guilty than he would have gotten after a trial, then his attorney did the right thing in advising him to plead. He pled guilty, which means he admitted he did the crime. You can spend the next five years visiting him in prison every weekend, or move on. In deciding which way to go, you should consider that the vast majority of men who are released from prison end up back in prison in a short time, no matter what promises they make about changing. Prison does not cure the problems that landed them in prison, it exacerbates them.

I

imsolost

well when he got sentenced they judge did say that the only thing that he had done was being with the boy through out the whole thing and that he hit the victim with the chair but to defend his friend i guess since there was a gun involved it was a more serious case since someone could of gotten hurt. Everything else that happened that night was done by his friend. The public defender really did not help because i had asked him to see if he could keep him in the program as long as possible so he could get his GED and if i didnt ask him to do that he wouldnt of done it himself. His public defender really didnt have anything to say or did say anything to help out at all i dont know if they are supossed to say anything before the sentencing. i just want to know if maybe a modification or any other type of document could be put in to help him reduce his time. Im sure that if we would of had money to pay for a lawyer (a good lawyer) then the situation could of been a different one but he has had a harsh life so far.. and he is young and i just thought that maybe there was something that could be done.

stephenk

didnt little warning bells go off when you decided to date this guy, since you first met him in court and he was being placed on probation? didnt your friends and family tell you that you could do better than him?

I

imsolost

No i didnt met him in court.. im saying that after we dated for a while, he told me that he was on probation and that he just had gotten out from the juvenile detention center. No my family didnt know him and they actually liked him because he is a really good person,he just gets influenced eazy and used to be surrounded by the wrong type of people. I know that me talking about him like this you guys probably dont believe me i guess because you guys hear it everyday from people who are in there and dont make things better for themselves but i came here for help that's what most people do they come here for help or they just got some questions and need some answers but some people on here instead of helping they just put up smartazz comments that arent very helpfuL, but i thought that id give it a shot and that maybe someone could help me out with this problem i didnt really come here to talk about the relationship i have with him because nobody would understand i was wondering if anything could be done for him.
but Thanks alot anyway i appreciate it...

Last edited:

stephenk

based on the facts you presented and the fact that he plead guilty to the charges, there does not seem to be any factor, at this point in time, to get his sentence reduced.

when does he come up for parole?

"he is a really good person,he just gets influenced eazy"

No, he really isnt a good person if he can be easily influenced to commit crimes and continued to hang around the "wrong people". To be a good person would require him to not be influenced and to hang around with a different crowd.

good luck anyway.

I

imsolost

There isnt parole in the state of Delaware..

"I know that me talking about him like this you guys probably dont believe me or care i guess because you guys hear it everyday from people who are in there and dont make things better for themselves......."

Thanks anyway........

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">