+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2006

    Question Absconding from Parole Charge - Georgia

    What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Georgia

    My brother is a registered sex offender. He was convicted of statutory rape in 1993. At the time he was 17 and his girlfriend was 13. He was given 20 year probation and banished from the state of Georgia. He was later on convicted of a defrauding a bank ( felony ) and sentences to 2 years in a FL prison. After serving his FL sentence he was released to GA department of corrections were he served 2 1/2 years for violation of probation ( statutory rape charges ). He was released out on parole in Sept 2004 on the interstate program ( FL ) because he was banished from GA. He was released out to his wife's address but later on moved out due to a few marital problems. He registered with the appropriate sex offender authorities. As he was ready to move back in with his wife, his new parole officer declined the address. He could not continue to live in the other address. So he moved back in with his wife. If he didnt move back in with her he would have been homeless and he was banished from GA. The police picked him up and extradited him back to GA on an absconding from parole charge.

    When he was in FL he kept a job, went to church and had no new charges. His current parole officer wants him to sign a waiver to return to prison. We've hired a lawyer. Many other jail inmates have the same charges ( Absonding ) and the parole officers are letting them out as long as they can pay the back payment. Why is his case different? Is it because he is a register sex offender? Even if it took place when he was 17 years old.

    Do you think this is a case worth fighting?
    Do you think he has a chance to returning to his wife in Florida?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    I haven't seen a lot of absconding cases in jail. Are you sure he's not talking about people in for violation of probation? VOP can be almost like bill collection. Absconding is a little more serious.

    It could be worth the lawyer. It's probably the only hope he has. The burden of proof for parole matters isn't high. The parole officer only has to show a prepondrance of the evidence. OTOH, a lawyer might be able to talk them into a better deal.

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

    By xbrutalx in forum Drunk Driving / DUI / DWI
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-02-2011, 07:32 PM
  2. Shoplifting charge while on Parole NEVADA
    By johnhill in forum Other Crimes – Federal and State
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-23-2007, 07:02 PM
  3. Parole Violation on a Bad Check Charge
    By Skyrat in forum Other Crimes – Federal and State
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-13-2003, 12:06 AM
  4. parole violation new charge
    By stevie's baby g in forum Sentencing / Parole / Pardons / Plea Bargains
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-06-2002, 04:17 PM
  5. Early Parole in Georgia?
    By split in forum Sentencing / Parole / Pardons / Plea Bargains
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-20-2001, 06:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

© Since 1995 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.