• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alford state conviction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FCIhelper

If someone has a state conviction that was an Alford plea and its divisible. How can he get back in to the courts to address this issue, its been 16 years and he's never filed a 2255 motion?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If someone has a state conviction that was an Alford plea and its divisible. How can he get back in to the courts to address this issue, its been 16 years and he's never filed a 2255 motion?
1) This site handles US law matters only. Since you failed to tell us what state this involves, we can only assume it's not a US law matter.
2) "Someone" should seek the assistance of a local attorney.

FlyingRon

There's no such thing as an "Alford conviction" just "Alford pleas." Once convicted, you're as convicted as you would be if you plead guilty or not guilty.
Further, there's no such thing as a 2255 motion on a state conviction. 2255 is a federal procedure.

I suspect you are in the US given the "codewords" but we need to know what state you're talking about and what sort of conviction (and indeed whether this was in state or federal court).

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I suspect you are in the US given the "codewords" but we need to know what state you're talking about and what sort of conviction (and indeed whether this was in state or federal court).
I agree that it's a US matter and that the OP needs to tell us his state.

(or her)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">