• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

am i really up the creek with no paddle??? please advise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

imscrewed1

New york

i am a 26 yr old male from northern ny. I am a decent citizen and not a troublemaker. I am currently working towards my bachelors degree from a state college. I am also married with 1, 3 yr old son and one on the way as well. Now is my dilemna.
In September 2002, i plead guilty to attempted assault in the 3rd degree...after much plea bargaining. It was DV related. I was ordered to do 1 year probation along with 27 weeks od DV classes and alcohol evaluations (which i have completed all and did fine) It was not alcohol or drug related i do not do either. I was always good to my prob. officer and we built up a good relationship, i visited once a month. so as of right now i have about 1 month to go.
On monday of this week i was arrested for Grand larceny, E felony i believe, i took 1600$ from my job in order to support my family, it was not used for personal gain or any of the such. I admitted my guilt to my job and to the state trooper that arrested me. Everyone was very nice about it and all..it wasnt that bad actually. So after all that i went in front of the judge to determine my bail and i was appointed an attorney. The DA wanted 5000$ bail but me and my lawyer got it reduced to 1000$ cash. Spent the night in jail got out next day, now i am home, the hearing is on monday. Lawyer called today wants my transcript from college stating that i am working towards my degree...I honestly...am totally scared right now, my wife did not know i was taking money but i was using it for the right reasons? my wife is 8 months preg. we just moved into a new place, i HAd a good job, if i go to jail she will have to move into govt housing....
so the question is?? am i really screwed?
my prob. officer told me today she would not file charges against me for VOP b/c i was so close to the end and i met my requirements except for having it one more month. what do you all think???? please serious answers only

P.S lawyer just called he wants to see if it could be moved to petit larceny and pay back the $$ and extend prob. to 3 years..is this feasible??

thanks to you all for a response
chris

H

hexeliebe

The only thing that matters legally in your entire post is the fact that you have an attorney trying to get your felony plead down to a misdemeanor.

The rest has nothing to do with your situation. Listen to your attorney.

I

imscrewed1

ok thanks, just was wondering what experiences others may have had in similar conditions...i will keep it updated
chris

sorry for the long post!

calatty

Take whatever deal you can get. You are lucky they are not going to violate your probation too. I would drop the excuse that you stole to support your family. It is not a defense, and unless your family was starving and homeless, it will be viewed as ridiculous.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

calatty said:
Take whatever deal you can get. You are lucky they are not going to violate your probation too. I would drop the excuse that you stole to support your family. It is not a defense, and unless your family was starving and homeless, it will be viewed as ridiculous.

My response:

You're just too good to be true,
Can't take my eyes off of you.
You'd be like heaven to touch
I wanna hold you so much,
At long last love has arrived,
And I thank God I'm alive.

Pardon the way that I stare,
There's nothing else to compare,
The sight of you leaves me weak;
There are no words left to speak.
But if you feel like I feel,
Please let me know that it's real.

I love you baby, and if it's quite all right,
I need you, baby, to warm the lonely night.
I love you, baby, trust in me when I say:
Oh pretty, baby don't bring me down I pray,
Oh pretty baby, now that I've found you,
Stay and let me love you, baby, let me love you.

I love you ...
baby, and if it's quite all right,
I need you baby, to warm the lonely night,
I love you, baby trust in me when I say:
Oh pretty.....(Repeat lyrics while fading)

by FRANKI VALLI IAAL

Last edited:
H

hexeliebe

GET A ROOM!!!

Oh, and leave the curtains open...I want to watch :D

stephenk

" I am a decent citizen and not a troublemaker"

That isnt really true. I am sure you rationalized your wife beating the same way you rationalized stealing from your job.

Here is what is happening with your case. If your present deal goes through on the theft charge, you will now be faced with a probation violation charge. On the PV charge you can then be sent to jail to complete the sentence on the DV charge.

C

condaggitt

. I am also married with 1, 3 yr old son and one on the way as well. Now is my dilemna.

If you controlled your breeding habits you wouldnt have been tempted to steal the money. That is your real problem. How do you intend to solve that one?

H

hexeliebe

condaggitt;

Probably the same way your parents should have years ago....

retroactive birth control.

Now shut the hell up unless you have something constructive to say.

C

condaggitt

he stole the money to support his family, ok i'll buy that. but with 2 kids under 3 and one on the way, geez.

When do we chastise him for his breeding irresponsibilty?

I might have had more compassion, if he didnt have one on the way.

calatty

QUOTE]Originally posted by IAAL
[/QUOTE]

What a diff'rence a day makes
Twenty-four little hours
Brought the sun and the flowers
Where there used to be rain

My yesterday was blue, dear
Today I'm part of you, dear
My lonely nights are through, dear
Since you said you were mine

There's a rainbow before me
Skies above can't be stormy
Since that moment of bliss, that thrilling kiss

It's heaven when you
Find romance on your menu
And the difference is you.....

C

chinachow

imscrewed1 said:
New york

i am a 26 yr old male from northern ny. I am a decent citizen and not a troublemaker. I am currently working towards my bachelors degree from a state college. I am also married with 1, 3 yr old son and one on the way as well. Now is my dilemna.
chris
build the nest, then lay the eggs

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">