• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attorney needed to obtain medical attn, geriatric, nonviolent prisoner (brother)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lanett

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Never done a thread before, so I hope I do this correctly. My 66 yr old brother in prison (a geriatric unit) for 3-1/2 yrs for non-violent crime. He is incontinent as a result of prostate cancer surgery and so he requires pads every day. He has to ride a bus which is difficult for him to climb into and out of it, over to the main prison unit from his dorm to pick up 2 huge packages of 1-week's worth of diapers, then ride the bus back to his dorm. He has great difficulty carrying the packages onto the bus and back to his dorm. Then when the place is on lockdown, he's not allowed to go get diapers. If he runs out, he's out of luck and urinates in his shorts. It's very humiliating for him. They won't supply him more than one weeks worth at a time. The other issue is he's in poor health.

The question is how can we help him get diapers delivered to him and see to it he has adequate supply even during lockdown? Do we have to hire an attorney to intercede for him/us?

Lanett

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Never done a thread before, so I hope I do this correctly. My 66 yr old brother in prison (a geriatric unit) for 3-1/2 yrs for non-violent crime. He is incontinent as a result of prostate cancer surgery and so he requires pads every day. He has to ride a bus which is difficult for him to climb into and out of it, over to the main prison unit from his dorm to pick up 2 huge packages of 1-week's worth of diapers, then ride the bus back to his dorm. He has great difficulty carrying the packages onto the bus and back to his dorm. Then when the place is on lockdown, he's not allowed to go get diapers. If he runs out, he's out of luck and urinates in his shorts. It's very humiliating for him. They won't supply him more than one weeks worth at a time. The other issue is he's in poor health.

The question is how can we help him get diapers delivered to him and see to it he has adequate supply even during lockdown? Do we have to hire an attorney to intercede for him/us?

Lanett
You can consult with an attorney in Texas who specializes in prisoners rights to see if there is anything that can be done to get your brother the extra pads he needs (or to discuss the possibility of an early release based on age, medical needs and nonviolent prisoner status). FreeAdvice has a Texas attorney who posts on occasion and perhaps he can provide some advice and direction. Look for a posting by CavemanLawyer.

In the meantime, below is a link to the American Bar Association's Criminal Justice Standards on treatment of prisoners. You might find some answers or information that is helpful.

http://www.americanbar.org/publications/criminal_justice_section_archive/crimjust_standards_treatmentprisoners.html

And here is a link to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice with information on the complaint process that both prisoners and their families can take advantage of to address a health care issue of a prisoner: http://tdcj.state.tx.us/divisions/cmhc/complaint_process.html

Good luck.

Last edited:

Lanett

Thank you for replying. I found I can contact the TDCJ Patient Liaison Program. So I wrote them a letter informing them of my brother's condition and requested they get incontinent supplies to him. I explained that while they are on lock down he can't go get them, and even so, he has difficulty climbing in and out of a bus carrying the heavy supplies back to his dorm. I explained that when he runs out and is unable to get them, it presents an unsanitary situation for him and anybody else around him. I reminded them he is a loved member of our family and that we expect them to treat him with human dignity. I copied the Warden and the ombudsman. I presume a courteous letter would be the first step, but if that is unsuccessful, then I will take it to the next step and contact an attorney.

You can consult with an attorney in Texas who specializes in prisoners rights to see if there is anything that can be done to get your brother the extra pads he needs (or to discuss the possibility of an early release based on age, medical needs and nonviolent prisoner status). FreeAdvice has a Texas attorney who posts on occasion and perhaps he can provide some advice and direction. Look for a posting by CavemanLawyer.

In the meantime, below is a link to the American Bar Association's Criminal Justice Standards on treatment of prisoners. You might find some answers or information that is helpful.

http://www.americanbar.org/publications/criminal_justice_section_archive/crimjust_standards_treatmentprisoners.html

And here is a link to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice with information on the complaint process that both prisoners and their families can take advantage of to address a health care issue of a prisoner: http://tdcj.state.tx.us/divisions/cmhc/complaint_process.html

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

quincy

Thank you for replying. I found I can contact the TDCJ Patient Liaison Program. So I wrote them a letter informing them of my brother's condition and requested they get incontinent supplies to him. I explained that while they are on lock down he can't go get them, and even so, he has difficulty climbing in and out of a bus carrying the heavy supplies back to his dorm. I explained that when he runs out and is unable to get them, it presents an unsanitary situation for him and anybody else around him. I reminded them he is a loved member of our family and that we expect them to treat him with human dignity. I copied the Warden and the ombudsman. I presume a courteous letter would be the first step, but if that is unsuccessful, then I will take it to the next step and contact an attorney.
Sending a courteous letter is a good first step to take. That might be all that is needed to resolve your brother's issue.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">