• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Background check by US government.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Q

Que Wis

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin
I need to fill out a form for background checks for clearance on a federal government job, I was convicted of marijuana possesion around 1976 and completed my 1 year probation without any problems. I was 18 at the time.
Can you tell me if I need to report this on the background form and if so what language would you suggest I use regarding this situation?
I have had no other crimes since and do not do any drugs.
I am concerned about this information getting to my current employer that did not have this information when I was hired over 25 years ago, not to mention possibly being denied a security clearance for this project.
Can you tell me if there is a statute of limitation for this record?
I believe that at the time, remembering the judge and probation officer telling me that if I successfully completed my probation the record would be sealed, is this true?
Thanks!

JETX

"I need to fill out a form for background checks for clearance on a federal government job, I was convicted of marijuana possesion around 1976 and completed my 1 year probation without any problems. I was 18 at the time.
Can you tell me if I need to report this on the background form"
*** Report it. If you don't and it is found out later, you will be terminated for lying. Though the risk of catching you in a lie is low, the penalty is too high.

"and if so what language would you suggest I use regarding this situation?"
*** Simply report it as you did here. 'Charged with marijuana possession around 1976 as a teenager. Completed probation.'

"Can you tell me if there is a statute of limitation for this record?
*** Yes, and the answer is no. Realizing that those old records may or may not have gotten entered into a computer they may be found or not. But there is no Statute of Limitation on a conviction.

"I believe that at the time, remembering the judge and probation officer telling me that if I successfully completed my probation the record would be sealed, is this true?"
*** Probably not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">