• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA-Pardon or Clemency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bamboozled916

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Inmate was released on parole in 2004 after serving 8years for mayhem. Inmate served 4months and then 6months for two minor parole violations (not legal crimes). 6months before discharge from parole, inmate was arrested for transporting, possession, conspiracy, and parole violation. Inmate gave friend a ride knowing friend was going to sell ecstasy pills. Friend was unknowingly being investigated. Friend sold to an undercover officer. Inmate did not have contact with ecstasy or undercover officer. A month later warrants were issued for both. Inmate was arrested with 1/4lb of mushrooms in his possession. Inmate accepted a plea bargain for 3years on transporting and 8months on possession, because he was unofficially threatened that a juvenile offense would be used as a second strike and a three strike conviction would be pursued. Under the two strikes law his sentence was doubled and he has now served over a year of a 7year 4month term. Friend who sold the pills only served 3months.

I retained the services of two different attorneys, neither did anything to help. Due to financial hardship, there was nothing more that I could do at the time. I am hesitant in seeking legal aid again. We are interested in any type of clemency that would be applicable under the circumstances. I have information on how to apply, but a lot of uncertainties. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated including any additional information that could be helpful, but was not asked. My questions are:

1. Is it better to request a pardon with or without an attorney? And Why?
2. What are qualifying reasons a pardon should be granted?
3. What is the likely hood under the circumstances that one will be granted?
4. What can the inmate do while incarcerated to better the chances of a pardon being granted?
5. What other things can be done to aid in a pardon being granted?
6. Are there any other ways to pursue a sentence reduction or early release?
On the application it asks to specify the action being requested: Traditional Pardon,
Reduction of Conviction Level, Reduction of Sentence, Release from Prison, Other.
7. Which action would be most likely granted or the best to request?
8. Can multiple actions be requested on the same application or at the same time so that if one is denied the others will be considered?
9. If no, then following a denial can a different action be requested through a new application?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">