• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can a federal p.o. modify a case's conditions that got transferred from another state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bbw0915

Husband's case was transferred from Louisiana to Texas. Certain conditions implied by Louisiana judge was told to us by Texas p.o. that they had authority to modify certain conditions originally implied by judge. Texas p.o.along with counselors and p.o. supervisor, modified a particular condition and are now trying to say they really didn't have the right to do so.I am soooo confused!

quincy

Husband's case was transferred from Louisiana to Texas. Certain conditions implied by Louisiana judge was told to us by Texas p.o. that they had authority to modify certain conditions originally implied by judge. Texas p.o.along with counselors and p.o. supervisor, modified a particular condition and are now trying to say they really didn't have the right to do so.I am soooo confused!
What particular condition that was "implied" in Louisiana was changed in Texas?

Not all states operate the same so modifications, in some cases, may be necessary.

bbw0915

Not all states operate the same so modifications, in some cases, may be necessary.
I can't give specific details on conditions for privacy reasons, but I can tell u that 3 different p.o.'s all said they had the right to modify certain conditions based on circumstance's that occur after sentencing and the fact that they handle conditions differently in Texas than LA. They modified one condition in particular and then after almost a year, they are now denying that they had the right to modify it.its a confusing mess and we can't get a straight answer from anyone. If it was fine and agreed by several to begin with, then I don't understand why it supposedly is not now.

Silverplum

I can't give specific details on conditions for privacy reasons, but I can tell u that 3 different p.o.'s all said they had the right to modify certain conditions based on circumstance's that occur after sentencing and the fact that they handle conditions differently in Texas than LA. They modified one condition in particular and then after almost a year, they are now denying that they had the right to modify it.its a confusing mess and we can't get a straight answer from anyone. If it was fine and agreed by several to begin with, then I don't understand why it supposedly is not now.
The first bolded explains the second.

I can't imagine what you expect from a message board, except the answer "42."

quincy

Well, what you heard from the three different probation officers is correct. Certain conditions can be modified based on the differences in state laws.

But, because of the dearth of information provided by you, it is impossible to say much more than that. I don't know, in other words, why the modification was okay before and not now.

If you are concerned about privacy, you are smart not to disclose too much on a forum. A forum is definitely not private. You may wish to pose your question to an attorney in your area who can protect your confidentiality or, better yet, you can have your husband ask the question.

Good luck.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Your probation conditions on transfer are nearly always BOTH the sending state and the receiving states standard conditions as well as whatever specific additional conditions you had in your sending state.

Just Blue

Curious that you would post on the internet when concerned about "privacy". :rolleyes:

quincy

Curious that you would post on the internet when concerned about "privacy". :rolleyes:
It does indeed seem odd. The internet is not exactly known for its privacy protections. :)

Perhaps a general answer was all bbw0915 was looking for? A general answer is, at any rate, all that can be provided, without some indication of the condition in question that was modified.

bbw0915

It does indeed seem odd. The internet is not exactly known for its privacy protections. :)

Perhaps a general answer was all bbw0915 was looking for? A general answer is, at any rate, all that can be provided, without some indication of the condition in question that was modified.

That's correct!!!!! All I was seeking was a general answer to a general question. Pitiful how people have to be a smartelic. If you don't have any helpful information then it's best to just not comment at all! Just saying.....

Silverplum

That's correct!!!!! All I was seeking was a general answer to a general question. Pitiful how people have to be a smartelic. If you don't have any helpful information then it's best to just not comment at all! Just saying.....
If you don't have a question, then it's best to just not post at all.

:rolleyes:

Be pleasant to the volunteers, or you will find yourself with no place to get answers in future.

quincy

Good!!!!! :)

All you were seeking was a general answer to a general question and you got a general answer to your general question. So it might be nice for you to say "thank you" to the volunteers, because you received exactly what you wanted - all of the helpful information available to provide based on the information in your post.

Just saying .....

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">