• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get in trouble for leaving the state on probation without my travel permit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HookEmHorns

What is the name of your state? Texas

I just started probation this month (may 1st) and yesterday I found out we had a family emergency out of state. I haven't even met with my probation officer so I didn't know how to handle things, but I called anyway and after 2 hours finally got in touch with her. She told me that she would leave my travel permit at the front desk of the probation office, but by the time I got up there it was closed and noone answered the door. I spoke to someone outside who said she was one of the councellors and she told me that she *thought* I would be ok as long as I called my officer once I got here. The problem with that is that the office apparently closes on weekends and because I haven't met with my officer yet, I don't have a private number. When I call the office there is a recording but no option to leave a message or anything.

My q is this: Is it breaking my probation to be out of state without my permit? I was issued one (she left it at the front desk) but it's not with me. I know it can be a problem if I get pulled over, but I won't be driving anywhere as I flew here, and I probably won't be leaving the hospital until I head home tonight or tomorrow, depending on when I can get a flight out. I just want to know if I will actually get in trouble with my officer, or if I'm violating my probation...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">