• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I obtain a Concealed Weapons Permit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

krystle94

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I had a class C Felony conviction in 2001 from Oregon. Since then All has been taken care of. Civil rights in Oregon are automatically restored as of today? Does this include my being able to get a permit to have a handgun, provided I comply with the florida state requirements??

cyjeff

Wow.

This is gonna surprise the crap outta you, but we all have day jobs. Sometimes, it requires more than a half hour to get an informed response.

If you want a more immediate answer, you should consider paying for it.

msiron

First you don't need a permit in FL to buy or have a handgun...you only need a CCW to carry concealed and you will likely be able to obtain the FL CCW. Be honest on the application. FL is a shall issue state if you've met their requirements. Have you read them?
------------------
Possible Reasons for Ineligibility:

The physical inability to handle a firearm safely.
A felony conviction (unless civil and firearm rights have been restored by the convicting authority).
Having adjudication withheld or sentence suspended on a felony or misdemeanor crime of violence unless three years have elapsed since probation or other conditions set by the court have been fulfilled.
A conviction for a misdemeanor crime of violence in the last three years.
A conviction for violation of controlled substance laws or multiple arrests for such offenses.
A record of drug or alcohol abuse.
Two or more DUI convictions within the previous three years.
Being committed to a mental institution or adjudged incompetent or mentally defective.
Failing to provide proof of proficiency with a firearm.
Having been issued a domestic violence injunction or an injunction against repeat violence that is currently in force.
Renouncement of U.S. citizenship.
A dishonorable discharge from the armed forces.
Being a fugitive from justice.

CdwJava

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I had a class C Felony conviction in 2001 from Oregon. Since then All has been taken care of. Civil rights in Oregon are automatically restored as of today? Does this include my being able to get a permit to have a handgun, provided I comply with the florida state requirements??
Under federal law, unless the matter is expunged (reduced) and all civil rights have been restored, the felony will be an automatic disqualifier for possession or ownership of a firearm pursuant to 18 USC 922(g).

- Carl

USPatriot

Disqualifications ...

Carl,

You seem to be well informed on this and I would like to know.

Would a possession/trafficing charge, not adjudcated and sealed from 20 years ago, disqualify someone? We are going to get our permits tomorrow, and I know my brother had this charge in 1987 when he was cought with an ounce of coke. He was running with a very bad crowd and this was taken into account, and it was withheld and he did community service and I think probation (can't remember all the details) and it was sealed. Seems this would violate one of the conditions below "A conviction for violation of controlled substance laws or multiple arrests for such offenses."

There are actually about six of us going as we are starting a gun club and I don't want him to be embarrased while we are all there as noone knows about this. He's arguing with me, but I am trying to tell him he will be denied ... what are your thoughts? Also, is there something you might point me to that I can then print out to explain it to him? One of these guys in the club is our BOSS!!

Thanks in advance.

CdwJava

Would a possession/trafficing charge, not adjudcated and sealed from 20 years ago, disqualify someone? We are going to get our permits tomorrow, and I know my brother had this charge in 1987 when he was cought with an ounce of coke.
If he was never convicted, it should not be a problem. Sometimes the best way to find out is to run your own criminal history (or in his case, to run his history) and see what comes up.

Follows this url to the AG's website for info on "Criminal records Review":

Criminal Records Review - Fingerprint Submissions - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

He was running with a very bad crowd and this was taken into account, and it was withheld and he did community service and I think probation (can't remember all the details) and it was sealed. Seems this would violate one of the conditions below "A conviction for violation of controlled substance laws or multiple arrests for such offenses."
If he did probation as a result of a misdemeanor conviction - or true finding if as a juvenile - then he should be okay 20 years later. the key will be if it was a conviction or true finding, and if it was a felony.

- Carl

USPatriot

Wow, thanks.

I was about to go to bed, and the answer was there, thank you so much!! I'll make it easy so you don't have to cut and past :)

1) I will check with him or my dad in the morning, but I know he was not convicted. I think it was a felony charge, adjudication withheld and probation ... so that's a deal breaker right? Pretty much any felony charge would keep you from getting a permit or buying a gun for that matter right?

2) If he fails to get a CWP and he takes my gun to the range, can I get in trouble or lose my CWP? I tell him now to keep the case in the box in the trunk and the clip in the glove box and ammo notably separate, but I don't know if does.

3) Lastly, I'm just curious if he tries to get a CWP and is denied ... will it make it WORSE for him or ME if he then breaks the rules taking my gun to the range? Can I lose mine as a result? I share my 9 with him, but I paid for it.

4) Also, I'm not sure what "true finding" means.

OK promise, I won't ask any more ... I'm just trying to be smart (I love him and all, but you don't know what this a$$ has put me through over the years) and I do not want to break any laws I don't know about. I really enjoy the range and don't want him to screw things up for me. Not to mention get my $800 Glock taken away or something.

Thanks again so much for your time, hope I'm not being crazy :-0

USPatriot

Wow.

This is gonna surprise the crap outta you, but we all have day jobs. Sometimes, it requires more than a half hour to get an informed response.

If you want a more immediate answer, you should consider paying for it.

LOL: Patience is a difficult thing. Funny part is, even calling and paying, would take a day to get an answer :p

CdwJava

1) I will check with him or my dad in the morning, but I know he was not convicted. I think it was a felony charge, adjudication withheld and probation ... so that's a deal breaker right? Pretty much any felony charge would keep you from getting a permit or buying a gun for that matter right?
Only if convicted of a felony ... or if a true finding was made as a juvenile. The best way to know for sure is to have that records review done.

2) If he fails to get a CWP and he takes my gun to the range, can I get in trouble or lose my CWP? I tell him now to keep the case in the box in the trunk and the clip in the glove box and ammo notably separate, but I don't know if does.
If he is prohibited to possess a firearm, he can get in trouble. You might not get in trouble, directly, but you could have a hard time getting it back. It would also be likely that your CCW would be revoked if you knowingly allowed a prohibited person to possess it.

3) Lastly, I'm just curious if he tries to get a CWP and is denied ... will it make it WORSE for him or ME if he then breaks the rules taking my gun to the range? Can I lose mine as a result? I share my 9 with him, but I paid for it.
See above.

4) Also, I'm not sure what "true finding" means.
It is effectively a "guilty" plea in a juvenile court. Juvenile courts do not use the term "guilty" or "not guilty" ... they use the terms "true finding" or "true bill".

- Carl

Glock30

Just need a little info

ok 100 bucks got it**************************** i am going to be 21 soon and i just moved to fl and my first gun i was going to get was a glock 30 45 acp i did alot of reading on the glock and i wood like to know if i get a 45 will i be able to conceale it wit my permit or is the ccw just for 9mm's and lower. ok and the last thing. the glock is 500$ the permit is about 100$ wit tax and all about 700$ (just to be safe) so how long will it take to get all that as in. can i buy the glock and get the permit in the same day :confused: thank you for your help in advance:D

Antigone*

ok 100 bucks got it**************************** i am going to be 21 soon and i just moved to fl and my first gun i was going to get was a glock 30 45 acp i did alot of reading on the glock and i wood like to know if i get a 45 will i be able to conceale it wit my permit or is the ccw just for 9mm's and lower. ok and the last thing. the glock is 500$ the permit is about 100$ wit tax and all about 700$ (just to be safe) so how long will it take to get all that as in. can i buy the glock and get the permit in the same day :confused: thank you for your help in advance:D
This is scarey :eek::eek: I woodn't want a gun in the hands of this OP. Please tell me it's not that easy to get a permit to carry a concealed weapon???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">