• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a misdemeanor be expunged from permanent record?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

Zoe_g

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

In 1997 i had a bad check ruling against me. The reason for the bad check was that i had changed banks and the place i had written the check to had not deposited said check for 60 days in which time i had changed from a regular bank to a credit union. Therefore when the check was sent in it was marked as "account closed" and i was slapped with a bad check ruling. The establishment where the check was written to made no attempt to contact me to correct it (they had check rite but didn't use it) and i ended up paying over $800.00 for a $40.00 check. The judge labeled me a habitual bad check writer (this happened in Montana), i was put on probation for a full year and i was banned from ever having a checking account in the state of Montana. (it all seemed a bit excessive to me specially since i had never had any problems with the law outside of a speeding ticket) The lawyer i retained could not get the district attorney to see the case for what it was. Now i am stuck with a misdemeanor case in my permanent record. I will be testing for a cosmetology license soon here in Minnesota and as part of the background check i have to inform the board of this misdemeanor which could prevent me from getting a license. My main question...can a misdemeanor be expunged and if it can, how can i do it? I still feel like the whole thing was an unfair deal, but the judge would not hear me out. It even took them 3 years to close the case and post in their records that all fees and penalties plus compensation were taken care of. I need some help, please.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">