• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can prisoners inherit property/Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

janetcs

I live in Texas, and my brother has been incarcerated for the past 7 years in a Texas State prison. He was charged with aggraviated sexual assault on a child. If he is lucky, he "might" get out early in 2009. His original sentence was 20 years. When he committee the crime, he was living around the corner from my mother, and it was at his house the crime occurred. He was only charged for the one kid, however I had seen him around the baseball parks. Photos of children were caught on his computer by the police, but I don't think he received extra time for these! I am very concerned, because he has contracted HIV while in prison, and from what he tells me in his letters he is sharing it with others in his cell block.
My mother is very ill, and most likely will die before he is released. She thinks he is the perfect child who did no wrong and has decided to leave her house to him. :eek: What I am worried about is 1. can he have the right to inherit property while in prison (and no way to pay taxes). 2. can he actually live next door to children, and 3. can he live in the house which is .2 miles from a school?
He does not express regrets for his crime/s. He blames the fact that in school and at home he could not talk about being gay (which my mother still has not been told, nor about the HIV).
If I were to write to the parole board, my brother would get a copy of my letter. I don't want to push him away, but I want to protect others! :confused:

HappyHusband

I live in Texas, and my brother has been incarcerated for the past 7 years in a Texas State prison. He was charged with aggraviated sexual assault on a child. If he is lucky, he "might" get out early in 2009. His original sentence was 20 years. When he committee the crime, he was living around the corner from my mother, and it was at his house the crime occurred. He was only charged for the one kid, however I had seen him around the baseball parks. Photos of children were caught on his computer by the police, but I don't think he received extra time for these! I am very concerned, because he has contracted HIV while in prison, and from what he tells me in his letters he is sharing it with others in his cell block.
My mother is very ill, and most likely will die before he is released. She thinks he is the perfect child who did no wrong and has decided to leave her house to him. :eek: What I am worried about is 1. can he have the right to inherit property while in prison (and no way to pay taxes). 2. can he actually live next door to children, and 3. can he live in the house which is .2 miles from a school?
He does not express regrets for his crime/s. He blames the fact that in school and at home he could not talk about being gay (which my mother still has not been told, nor about the HIV).
If I were to write to the parole board, my brother would get a copy of my letter. I don't want to push him away, but I want to protect others! :confused:
1. Yes
2/3. Yes, but he'll have to register as sex offender.

moburkes

Why are you concerned about who your mother leaves her property to? People outside of jail have difficulties paying taxes. Just because you own a property doesn't mean that you will live in it. He may simply decide to sell it.

gawm

I can understand you being a little jealous and upset. Look at it this way, maybe your mother knows how hard it is going to be for him when he gets out. You probably already have a house( I assume). Mothers have a tendency to favor the weaker child.

janetcs

There is no jealously.

And why do you think she asked if it was legal? She is jealous and upset, anyone would be.
By the way, I DID ask if it was legal for a Texas State Prison inmate to inherit property while in prison. And, no, I am not jealous that the home (which is a shack) is left to my brother, as I am much older, and I have a home already.
I am, however, concerned that my brother is a SEX offender and young children live near my mother.
Furthermore, I know that if mother dies before brother is released, property taxes will go unpaid because she has no bank account, and no assets other than that house. Her Social security and disability checks will stop once mother is deceased. The house will end up on the auction block and sold for back taxes.
We are trying to get mother to have in her will to sell the house once she dies, and the proceeds to be put into an account for my brother to buy a house, or to be able to rent a place after he dies. We would prefer that my mother set up arrangements which will
work after her death, to keep us from having to get a judge to change things.

It is very presumptuous of you to assume I am jealous of the arrangement. On the contrary, I think it is a wonderful thing my mother wants to do. But I had wrongly assumed that this was a board where people would exchange legal knowledge, instead of yet another teenage wasteland on the internet to throw barbs at people. :mad:

BelizeBreeze

By the way, I DID ask if it was legal for a Texas State Prison inmate to inherit property while in prison. And, no, I am not jealous that the home (which is a shack) is left to my brother, as I am much older, and I have a home already.
I am, however, concerned that my brother is a SEX offender and young children live near my mother.
Furthermore, I know that if mother dies before brother is released, property taxes will go unpaid because she has no bank account, and no assets other than that house. Her Social security and disability checks will stop once mother is deceased. The house will end up on the auction block and sold for back taxes.
We are trying to get mother to have in her will to sell the house once she dies, and the proceeds to be put into an account for my brother to buy a house, or to be able to rent a place after he dies. We would prefer that my mother set up arrangements which will

It is very presumptuous of you to assume I am jealous of the arrangement. On the contrary, I think it is a wonderful thing my mother wants to do. But I had wrongly assumed that this was a board where people would exchange legal knowledge, instead of yet another teenage wasteland on the internet to throw barbs at people. :mad:
you have also been told several times that yes it is legal. So why are you so pissy?

gawm

She thinks he is the perfect child who did no wrong and has decided to leave her house to him. :eek:
Do you hear yourself? That is the Green Eyed Monster itself talking. Don't be upset, it's very understandable.
I am, however, concerned my brother is a SEX offender and young children live near my mother.
Where don't young children live? Your brother has to live somewhere? Is he old enough to live in a retirement community? If not, I bet there is young children living near by.:eek: Maybe you want him in jail forever? That's understandable too. Write the parole board, oh wait, you're too afraid your brother will find out. I guess it really is jealousy more than it is " Protecting Others":rolleyes:

Oh, and yes, it's legal!

smutlydog

He is going to need a house. It's difficult for a felon much less a SO to find a apartment complex that will rent to him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">