+ Reply to Thread
    vw2006 is offline Junior Member

can you transfer to another state while on probation

What is the name of your state? IN

my job is transferring me to another state next year and my husband is currently on house arrest for a prior felony conviction. when he asked the director of the house arrest program about a possible transfer, the director told him he couldn't transfer. is this true information? how can they deny him if his wife and children are moving? also are house arrest and probation one in the same?
    Last edited by vw2006; 08-22-2006 at 05:37 AM.
    Heather2 is offline Member
    If no one on here comes to help you you might try asking your question here: [url]http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69911[/url]
    CdwJava is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2006
    What is the name of your state? IN

my job is transferring me to another state next year and my husband is currently on house arrest for a prior felony conviction. when he asked the director of the house arrest program about a possible transfer, the director told him he couldn't transfer. is this true information? how can they deny him if his wife and children are moving? also are house arrest and probation one in the same?
    He is on HOUSE ARREST. This means that he gets to stay home as opposed to jail. Of course they can deny him. They could, of course, toss him back in the clink instead. House arrest and probation are NOT the same (at least in my state).

He should get an attorney and see if he can get his sentence somehow modified to probation. Then, he can seek to have his probation transferred out of state. But this will require agreement of the probation agency in the jurisdiction he is moving to as well as the agency where he lives.

The bottom line is that he is not going anywhere for a while ... if he is going to go anywhere at all!

Being sentenced as a result of a crime is supposed to be an inconvenience. He either needs to look for another job, or start the ball rolling to see if he can discover a way to move.

- Carl
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM
    vw2006 is offline Junior Member
    thanks for your replies. it is not him that needs to find a job, it's MY job that is transferring me.
    CdwJava is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2006
    thanks for your replies. it is not him that needs to find a job, it's MY job that is transferring me.
    The same theory will still apply. He cannot just up and go any more than he could if he were in jail. You may also have to consider the possibility that he might have to remain behind until he can either get such a probation transfer, or, that he will have to remain until he completes his time served.

- Carl
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM