• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

carrying a concealed weapon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Grace_Adler

What is the name of your state? NC

I guess this is the right section to post. LOL

Anyway, I know someone who has a 15 year old girl. She has been in some altercations (not sure what) at her local high school, not sure but was told other people instigated it. Anyway, she has been made to go to some other school by the state, where they put kids who get expelled or other trouble in the regular public schools.

Well, this is a kind of racial thing. The story I was told was she was dating someone of a different race and some of the people here are very racial and against biracial dating so they were threatening her. So in turn, she carries a knife to school in her bookbag in case anyone starts anything with her. The reason being, these kids have been threatening her for a long time, she has been in a few fights with them and the parents have talked to the people who run the school and they won't do anything about it so she thought she'd handle it herself if someone started something.

Well, she was caught with the knife and has a hearing, I think on Wed. Oct. 22nd. I think she was charged with Carrying A Concealed Weapon.

I was just wondering what she should do when she gets to court.

Can she plead guilty to a lesser charge or talk to the DA about taking a plea bargain?

If she can take a plea bargain, what kind of plea bargain do you think they will offer or what should she try to get?

I told the family she needs to go in there, tell the truth and apologize to everyone and to beg for mercy. If she tries to lie, I know they are going to see right through her.

If anyone has any tips on what she should do in court, be prepared for or try to do, it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

JETX

"I was just wondering what she should do when she gets to court."
*** Based solely on your post, she really has no valid defense.

"Can she plead guilty to a lesser charge or talk to the DA about taking a plea bargain?"
*** That would be a good idea to see if the DA will consider a plea.

"If she can take a plea bargain, what kind of plea bargain do you think they will offer or what should she try to get?"
*** No one can answer that. We do not know the court, prosecutor or community to see how 'aggressively' they might pursue this matter. The severity of prosecution often goes wherever the public sentiment (or nearby elections) pushes it.

"I told the family she needs to go in there, tell the truth and apologize to everyone and to beg for mercy. If she tries to lie, I know they are going to see right through her."
*** I agree.

Grace_Adler

Thank you so much. You don't know how much I appreciate your response and I will pass this information along.

So I guess basically all she can do is ask for a plea bargain, do as I suggested and hope for the best.

If I find out more relevant information that may need to be posted, I'll let you know.

Thanks again! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">