• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

case closed after probation violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

minute maid

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

im in maryland, and got put on probation before judgement for a felony arrest. my situation is that i violated probation by missing meetings and drug tests. when i went back in to try to get things cleared up my probation officer told me she violated me and then the judge closed my case without persuing any action against me. what im wondering now is if im technically a convicted felon and if it shows up on my record as such? any insight or information would be greatly appreciated. thanks

BL

im in maryland, and got put on probation before judgement for a felony arrest. my situation is that i violated probation by missing meetings and drug tests. when i went back in to try to get things cleared up my probation officer told me she violated me and then the judge closed my case without persuing any action against me. what im wondering now is if im technically a convicted felon and if it shows up on my record as such? any insight or information would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Was your probation term near the end ?

If so the Judge just might have decided not to violate you and your term of probation was closed .

If so, you should have received a letter from probation ending it .

The conviction most likely stands .

One way to find out is pay for a background check on yourself from the PD.

Or perhaps contact probation if you never got a letter of termination and ask .

minute maid

yeah i never got a letter from anyone telling me anything. It wasnt close to the end, more like 6 months into a 18 month probation.

although recently i did recieve a letter telling me i owed the monthly probation fee for the remainder of the probation i didnt serve. would i need to pay that off before getting anything from department of probation?

if the judge decided not to violate me shouldnt i be able to get it cleared from my record? wouldnt it be like to successfully completed my probation?

i mainly ask for the purposes of my girlfriend having a firearm in the house for self defense.

BL

yeah i never got a letter from anyone telling me anything. It wasnt close to the end, more like 6 months into a 18 month probation.

although recently i did recieve a letter telling me i owed the monthly probation fee for the remainder of the probation i didnt serve. would i need to pay that off before getting anything from department of probation?

if the judge decided not to violate me shouldnt i be able to get it cleared from my record? wouldnt it be like to successfully completed my probation?

i mainly ask for the purposes of my girlfriend having a firearm in the house for self defense.
Oweing the PD would most likely be the cause of incompletion.

Just because you were not violated ,doesn't mean you are not a convicted felon .

I gave you two ways to check . The PD can probably look it up and tell you your arrest history , or obtain a background check on yourself .

Additionally the courts record room may be the place to find out the exact disposition that occured.

dave33

It seems something is missing. If you were in fact violated, I would think that you would have to be at least arraigned before the violation issue was disposed of.

Anyway, regardless of that, it would seem you are a felon and your record will reflect that.

Now, if you never got convicted and was put on some sort of pre-trial probation with conditions (some states will give you a chance to finish a re-hab program before pleading.) If that is the case than you will start the procedure over w/out the chance of pre-trial diversion and will have to plea or go to trial. In that scenario you are not yet a convicted felon and your record will reflect that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">