• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Case status: what does dismissed means and how can I expunge this case from my record

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tato365

What is the name of your state? VA

I am international and I was studying in an university in Washington DC (with a F1 student visa) in 1996. Did a stupid thing and was caught shoplifting a shirt (less than US$50). Hired an attorney and the case was settled by a plea bargain at the time. I pleaded guilty and did a few hours of community service and then was released and came back to my country. I have not come back to the U.S.A. since that incident and will be returning to study in the east coast this year. I checked on the case and it reads "dismissed". What does it means? Does it shows in my records in the U.S.A.? Can I expunge these records? How do I do that (who should I contact?)?

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">