• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing a plea prior to sentencing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tlight38732

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

Faced with 5 charges, I plead guilty to two offenses--first time DWI and felony drug possession (adderall). I did so based on advice from my lawyer that I couldn't get a better deal AND I wouldn't have to come back. Well, the judge ordered me back in two months for formal sentencing while my criminal record (none) is confirmed.

I feel like I made a poor decision as I (my attorney) could have used this time to bargain more.

My question is this...is there NO possible way to revoke this decision? What if I knew a powerful politician that could help sway the DA's position toward helping me out?

I'm asking because I've posed this hypothetical question to two veteran attorneys...and received opposing replies.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The powerful politician LEGALLY cannot influence your sentence. Your hypothetical situation matters not. On what grounds will you retract your plea?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">