• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Commercial Burglary w/ tool

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sasha

What is the name of your state? California

My daughter recently got arrested for commercial burglary with a burglary tool that was found on her. Since the item that she took was only worth 30 dollars, it has been filed as a misdemeanor and the use of a tool was a misdemeanor as well. She is 19 years old and has no prior record, unfortunately she is very naive and did this based on influence from one of her friends. She is an excellent student and is planning to apply to PhD programs in the fall. She has become extremely depressed and is obsessed about it ruining the rest of her life. What is a probable outcome for this case? Is it possible for her to avoid jail? All she wants to do is go to school and work.
Also, she has made one suicide attempt since she got arrested and is getting psychological help at school. Should I tell her lawyer about this? Would it help her case at all?

Adonna

Well..

I am not a lawyer, but maybe I can offer some encouragement/advice

It is possible for her to avoid jail. While this is not a promise, the courts aren't necessarily looking for reasons to throw people in jail....quite the contrary, they are looking for reasons to let people out of jail because jails and prisons are overcrowded. Again, this is not a promise. But I think your lawyer might tell you the same thing. Also, since it is her first conviction and that it is a misdemeanor...that would help. I know also that it is possible sometimes to have these things wiped off your record if the person successfully completes their sentence/probation.

About the depression and suicide...I am studying to be a therapist and to me it sounds like she has some major issues going on. That is very serious stuff. She is under a lot of pressure, she has commited a crime, she is allowing her friends to persuade her into making poor decisions, and, according to you she has tried suicide. I would think all of this would show you that something is going on.

And yes, you need to tell your lawyer about all of this. You are paying him the big bucks...he needs to know what is going on with his client. It's possible that this could be taken into account at court. Again, I don't know.

One last word. No, it has not ruined her life. Good luck...and talk to your Lawyer!

NHfather

it may not ruin her life but it sure does mess it up a bit. she can pretty much exclude a job in a bank or any other job where she may require bonding

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">