• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Convicted Felon - Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

andie lagway

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? California

21 years ago, (when I was 18), I was convicted of accessory to Grand Theft. This was my first and only time coming in contact with the police (even as a child, I had never been arrested).

Is is possible to have this conviction reduced to a misdemeanor? If so, would I then be able to have the conviction explunged?

I have never checked off on an employment application that I have been convicted of a felony. Fortunately for me, employers typically check back seven to ten years for criminal background checks (besides, I have always worked in human resources). Prior to this, background checks were done stricitly through fingerprinting. Naturally, I avoided those type of positions. However, recently I resigned from a position in the airline industry, because the Federal Aviation Administration was going to fingerprint me (due to the September 11th tradegy).

I'm currently working on a business degree and would like to not be limited to certain industries. One day I hope to work in law enforcement -- from a business stand point.

Any information you can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much.

Last edited:

S

shantrbl

i posted information regarding expungement in a reply to matt8476-expunging a record and ekoiik-how do expunge a misdemeanor.... read those maybe it will answer some of your questions. hope it helps you out.

S

shantrbl

i am not aware of any links regarding expungement information...what i have is printed information compiled from various sources and given to me in an expungement workshop.

A

andie lagway

Hi Shantrbl -

I really appreciate the response. I contacted an attorney, but not in the State of California. She said felonly convictions could not be expunged. I know that in the State of Illinois, drug dealers who are convicted of felonies can have them expunged, so I guess it's on a state by state basis.

During your workshop, did they discuss if a felony can be reduced to a misdemeanor?

Andie

S

shantrbl

it depends on the offense but yes felony's can be reduced, however they cant be reduced to a misdemeanor then expunged. were you tried here in california?

A

andie lagway

Yes, I plead guility in California. The offense was accessory to Grand Theft. It was a non violent crime. Thanks for letting me know that I can at least reduce the charges to a misdemeanor. I didn't want to spend lots of money on an attorney, just to find out that I'm stuck with this felony.

Thanks again! I'll follow up with an attorney from here, unless you have some suggestions.

A

andie lagway

Shantrbl -

I just read your email response to Matt. I did not serve any prison time. There wasn't a fine to pay for me just my co-defendant. I successfully completed probation. In fact, the entire three years, I did not receive any supervision. They completely trusted me to leave the State and be on my own for three years! I have not committed another crime since.

My only problem is that I'm not in the State of California. Is there another way to get my hands on the paperwork? Sounds like I don't need to hire an attorney, but seek out a Public Defender in California for free.

What do you think. I'm truly beginning to get excited.

Andie

S

shantrbl

andie,

i was just about to tell you that you didnt have to hire an attorney that for about sixty bucks you can do it yourself. You will however have to come back to cali and do this at the court you were convicted at. as far as i know you cant do it from out of state. the information i have states that the expungement process has to be done at the court you were convicted in and in person. I have no idea how long the process takes but i doubt it should take more than a few days to start the paperwork. Then maybe you can return when the paperwork goes before the judge if that is even necessary. I have the information but i have yet to do the process myself, i have to wait until january to expunge my record.

A

andie lagway

Shantrbl -

This is the best news yet. I just started a new job, so I'll have to wait for my vacation. But this is definetly going to be my next project.

Thanks again and good luck to you!

Andie

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">