• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crooked Judge...Bad Sentence....HELP?????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jhouse

my boyfriend recently went to court in Placer County, California for wreckless driving. It was his first misdemeanor and we had no idea that he would need a lawyer. the issuing officer told him it "wasn't a big deal....just go to court plead guilty and pay the fine" the problem is after he plead guilty the DA asked for 10 days jail time (please remember that his only other offences are minor traffic violations and he had NOT been drinking) there were people in court with him that had been caught with open containers and/or marijuana and had prior misdemeanors and my boyfriend is the only one who is going to see actual jail time....ALL the others were allowed alternative sentencing. he has to go to jail for four days, spend six days in a work program, go to anger management classes, pay $900.00 in fines, and his license may be suspended....a little excessive?!? i believe that the only reason he was sentenced this way is because the person he got in front of (or cut-off) was an off duty police officer in his minivan who had decided that he was going to control traffic by doing 60mph in the fast lane. when the officer filed a report about the incident with the DA he made it seem 10x worse than what actually happened. my boyfriend went around him and THAT'S ALL. he was never allowed to speak in his defense and i have been told by several of the local lawyers that that particular judge is know for being "crooked" and sentencing people based on personal feelings not actual facts, so my question is.....What can I do about this???? Any help would be really appreciated!!

calatty

He should get an attorney and appeal his conviction to the appellate department of the superior court.

M

Mom4Sons

response to JHOUSE

Was the off-duty officer trying to make this appear as road-rage? Could explain the anger management classes as well the harsher punishment than the others..... (I'm no expert..just have many, many hours of legal research for my sons).---
Never-the-less, JAIL4JUDGES is an excellent site to check out...they also have their email address posted on the site and they respond really quick!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">