• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

deferred adjudication and firearm ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

redgtsviper

What is the name of your state? Texas

In 1999 I was arrested for possession of steroids, it was a class 3 felony charge. I received a deferred adjudication with 2 years probation. I completed my probation in 2002 without any problem.

From what I understand I am able to own firearms again. I have bought around 12 in the past years and never had a problem with the ATF background check.

This past weekend I was pulled over for speeding while going dove hunting. The DPS office saw that I had a shotgun in my truck. When he went to run my license he came back and gave me my ticket, he asked me if I had ever been arrested, I said yes, once and it was back in 1999. I explained that it was a deferred adjudication.

He seemed to think that I had a felony on my record. He was very nice about it and did not take me to jail, but he did explain that the info dispached to him said I had a felony arrest.

So my two main questions.

1. Am I able to own firearms again, I was always under the impression that I could, and I have had no problem buying them.

2. Who should I contact about this. I can not find the lawyer I used back in 1999. This all happened in Del Rio, Texas (Val Verda County). I have no idea where to start on this

Any help would be great.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">