• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Did I make right decision?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

twohits

What is the name of your state? I live in Mass. On Oct 31st 2003 I was arrested and my attorney thought it was best if I "plead out". I was put on pretrial probation and then the 3 harges were dismissed. How does this differ from going to trial and being found not guilty. My lawyer states I do not have a record. Is this true? I honestly felt I had a strong enough case that I was willing to go to trial. The police published in the newspaper that I had my chance to speak by going to trial and I chose to cop a plea instead. I requested a CORI report and all three charges showed up. I was told that when the charges are dismissed and the records are updated the CORI report may not show anything. Is this true? The reason I ask is that I just moved to a new town and I would like to continue coaching soccer and baseball as I did in my previous town until the arrest that is. The league would no longer let me coach due to what was on the CORI report.
Again what is the difference between dismissed and not guilty and when the records are updated as I expect them to be this week, what will the CORI report show?

S

seniorjudge

twohits said:
What is the name of your state? I live in Mass. On Oct 31st 2003 I was arrested and my attorney thought it was best if I "plead out". I was put on pretrial probation and then the 3 harges were dismissed. How does this differ from going to trial and being found not guilty. My lawyer states I do not have a record. Is this true? I honestly felt I had a strong enough case that I was willing to go to trial. The police published in the newspaper that I had my chance to speak by going to trial and I chose to cop a plea instead. I requested a CORI report and all three charges showed up. I was told that when the charges are dismissed and the records are updated the CORI report may not show anything. Is this true? The reason I ask is that I just moved to a new town and I would like to continue coaching soccer and baseball as I did in my previous town until the arrest that is. The league would no longer let me coach due to what was on the CORI report.
Again what is the difference between dismissed and not guilty and when the records are updated as I expect them to be this week, what will the CORI report show?

What did your attorney say when you asked all these questions?

S

seniorjudge

twohits said:
My attorney said this was my best option and I would not have arecord when it was over.
This sounds like what is sometimes called in some places a suspended imposition of sentence. You are essentially put on probation after you plead guilty and then if you do your probation okay, there is no record and you can honestly say you have never been convicted of a crime.

Ask your lawyer to give you something in writing that this is what, in fact, happened. You don't want this sneaking up on you later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">