• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I Just Have To Accept It?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Do I Just Have To Accept It

I apologize I'm having internet issues.

I was sentenced to probation by The United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. I'm on probation under 18 U.S.C. 3607 & 32 CFR 234.17 (c)(I)(i). I'm in a treatment program, I get drug tested & I see a therapist. I'm from Philly & live in Maryland. Friends & family know nothing about this. I've been keeping things normal by playing my part I visit my family in Philly. My P.O. wants me to leave the name, address & # for mom's, which I give her. She also wants me call her to leave a message when I depart & upon my return, which I do. Today I told her I'd like to see mom got Mother's Day & attend my childhood girlfriend's wedding May 30. She tells me I see mom, but that's it because I've been too busy & she wants me to sit home & keep still. I haven't seen my girlfriend in a long time. She planned her wedding before I got in trouble & has taken a head count got her guests going to the reception; including me. I know I can't leave the DMV area without letting my P.O. know but I'm doing everything I'm supposed to do. Is it me thinking my P.O. is using her authority to keep me here & I just have to accept it? This is my 1st brush with the law. Maybe she does have the right to not let me travel; I'm not sure. I know what I did was wrong & I'm beyond sorry, but she seems unfair. Is she?
Thanks in advance.

single317dad

You will need your probation officer's permission to travel outside the jurisdiction (some probation orders are more strict than that). Weddings are known to be a prime opportunity for debauchery. Though your personal plans may be to play it straight and enjoy time with your friend, your P.O. has experience with these situations and is using caution. Unless you can convince your P.O. to change her mind, you may not legally attend the wedding.

Thank you! I really appreciate you & freeadvice! :)

You will need your probation officer's permission to travel outside the jurisdiction (some probation orders are more strict than that). Weddings are known to be a prime opportunity for debauchery. Though your personal plans may be to play it straight and enjoy time with your friend, your P.O. has experience with these situations and is using caution. Unless you can convince your P.O. to change her mind, you may not legally attend the wedding.

FlyingRon

Let me however, set your mind at a little more ease. If you are in good standing with your PO (complying with your obligations, testing clean, and not having any violations), travel permits for definite events are routinely approved. Have you talked to your officer yet?

I'm going to treatment & seeing a therapist. Yes I spoke to her & she feels I need to stay still for a while because according to her I have too many family functions/events goin on?! I know this is what I get for being stupid, but the weather's getting nicer & if I hadn't gotten in trouble I'd be traveling back & forth with no worries.

Let me however, set your mind at a little more ease. If you are in good standing with your PO (complying with your obligations, testing clean, and not having any violations), travel permits for definite events are routinely approved. Have you talked to your officer yet?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">