• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

does a minor felony have to follow you forever?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

drkar

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Shortly after my son's 18 th birthday, he and a 16 year old boy slashed tires on a few semi's under the leadership of the minor. He turned himself in a few days later because he felt so guilty, knowing this is not the way he was raised. Consequently they charged him with a felony conviction and was taken directly to jail. When they took him before the judge for the first time, they took him in 4-point shackles! This poor kid doesn't even swear and is sooooo sensitive, it broke my heart! He was sentenced to pay 2000. in damages and sentenced to two weeks in jail. The minor got community service.

That was all 5 years ago. He has NEVER had any violations in his parole, which is long over but the problem is that he can't find a job application that asks if he has ever been charged with a felony and that is an automatic turn down. Is there any way we can legally get this off his record in Illinois? drkar

TYRIS

drkar said:

Shortly after my son's 18 th birthday, he and a 16 year old boy slashed tires on a few semi's under the leadership of the minor. He turned himself in a few days later because he felt so guilty, knowing this is not the way he was raised. Consequently they charged him with a felony conviction and was taken directly to jail. When they took him before the judge for the first time, they took him in 4-point shackles! This poor kid doesn't even swear and is sooooo sensitive, it broke my heart! He was sentenced to pay 2000. in damages and sentenced to two weeks in jail. The minor got community service.

That was all 5 years ago. He has NEVER had any violations in his parole, which is long over but the problem is that he can't find a job application that asks if he has ever been charged with a felony and that is an automatic turn down. Is there any way we can legally get this off his record in Illinois? drkar

your son can contact the couthouse and try to get his record expunged. i would talk to an attorney who specializes in that type of subject.

this may sound crass and i appologise beforehand but.. your son committed a felony and admitted to it (which is a point in his favor that he knows he did wrong and is taking responsibility for it..very few do). he learned a very hard lesson at a young age and he is going to have to live with it.

TYRIS

T

talianna

Unfortunately your son's problem is pretty common. One stupid mistake is going to affect the rest of his life. I know of at least two people who were convicted after stealing highway signs when they were eighteen, and because of that one incident of stupidity, they can't own a gun, have a felony to report when searching for a job or trying to get financial aid for school, and just have it hanging over their heads casting a shadow forever.

I wish you luck getting your son's conviction expunged. He sounds like a good kid, and it's a shame if he loses out on so much because of one lapse in judgement.

B

believer

This is a crazy world, and unfortunately I learned the hard way that one simple mistake can be a life long sentence! This is a world full of people that do not want to forgive and forget! I can totally understand why criminals return to a life of crime, because there is no such thing as a 2nd chance!

Good luck to you and your son, I sure wish I could take time back!

anarchski

it doesnt matter if your son was under the leadership of a minor, he still made the choice to do it. hes just as responsible if not more responsible especially by not only being the older one, but the adult. and he should know better especially by being that old. i mean thats stuff me and my friends did when we were like 12 or 13. it doesnt matter how he was raised. i've done stupid similar things when i was young even though its not how i was raised. its nothing to worry about. all kids have run ins with cops at least a couple times. your son made a HUGE mistake by turning himself in. sure it may be the right thing but that only makes things worse for him, you, and your family. they dont care if your son was raised good and doesnt even swear. he should know even better than a kid that wasnt raised good. either way no excuses. if he didnt turn himself in the quilt would go away and he would have still learned his lesson. i'm sure an insurance company would pay for the slashed tires anyway. and the proper term is probation, not parole. parole is for prisoners. as far as what you need to do for job applications is dont fill in the section that asks if you been charged with a felony. they rarely do background checks for most jobs unless its a government job or big company. its simply too expensive for minimum wage jobs or small companies to do a search. and for future info, always bail your kid out of jail. it cost money everyday to stay there. and as long as they show up for court, you get your bail money back. and also always ask to do community service in lieu of jail time. its 8 hours of work per day in jail. the judge will often times allow community service because not only does it help the community but it helps from keeping jails overcrowded. never EVER tell on someone else involved. they say they will ease your sentence but that is a lie. once the police press charges its all up to the prosecution and judge, not the cops. cops are very good at lying and can be very good at scare tactics. believe me, i couldnt have been raised better by my wonderful parents, i've done lots of stupid things while knowing better, and i've also graduated from college, have no criminal record, and have a good job. and remember, cops arnt always the good guys they seem to be. most just care about filling their quota and getting paid. i've rarely seen them help in serious times of need. and everytime they are needed you usually end up calling again until you actually get a good cop that actually cares about what is going on. dont let this incident bother you or your son anymore. its actually VERY minor and dont think you're a bad parent. think about the parents that have kids in trouble all the time that they tried their damn hardest to raise good. good luck and seriously follow the above advice.

ERAUPIKE

Since he was convicted of a felony, you have not provided the specific charge he was convicted of, I would say at first glance his record cannot be sealed or expunged. He can apply for a pardon but the chances of him receiving one are very slim.

ERAUPIKE

it doesnt matter if your son was under the leadership of a minor, he still made the choice to do it. hes just as responsible if not more responsible especially by not only being the older one, but the adult. and he should know better especially by being that old. i mean thats stuff me and my friends did when we were like 12 or 13. it doesnt matter how he was raised. i've done stupid similar things when i was young even though its not how i was raised. its nothing to worry about. all kids have run ins with cops at least a couple times. your son made a HUGE mistake by turning himself in. sure it may be the right thing but that only makes things worse for him, you, and your family. they dont care if your son was raised good and doesnt even swear. he should know even better than a kid that wasnt raised good. either way no excuses. if he didnt turn himself in the quilt would go away and he would have still learned his lesson. i'm sure an insurance company would pay for the slashed tires anyway. and the proper term is probation, not parole. parole is for prisoners. as far as what you need to do for job applications is dont fill in the section that asks if you been charged with a felony. they rarely do background checks for most jobs unless its a government job or big company. its simply too expensive for minimum wage jobs or small companies to do a search. and for future info, always bail your kid out of jail. it cost money everyday to stay there. and as long as they show up for court, you get your bail money back. and also always ask to do community service in lieu of jail time. its 8 hours of work per day in jail. the judge will often times allow community service because not only does it help the community but it helps from keeping jails overcrowded. never EVER tell on someone else involved. they say they will ease your sentence but that is a lie. once the police press charges its all up to the prosecution and judge, not the cops. cops are very good at lying and can be very good at scare tactics. believe me, i couldnt have been raised better by my wonderful parents, i've done lots of stupid things while knowing better, and i've also graduated from college, have no criminal record, and have a good job. and remember, cops arnt always the good guys they seem to be. most just care about filling their quota and getting paid. i've rarely seen them help in serious times of need. and everytime they are needed you usually end up calling again until you actually get a good cop that actually cares about what is going on. dont let this incident bother you or your son anymore. its actually VERY minor and dont think you're a bad parent. think about the parents that have kids in trouble all the time that they tried their damn hardest to raise good. good luck and seriously follow the above advice.
Are you kidding me? There are so many things wrong with this post I don't know where to start. drkar, disregard as much as this post as you can attempt to decipher.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">