• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dom. Viol. Case Dropped?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tiffany9899

What is the name of your state? Texas

On January 1st my ex battered me causing bruising and swelling. It would have continued had a neighbor not intervened giving me a chance to contact 911. He was arrested. That morning I went and filed for a temporary protective order for myself and our children and spoke with the judge at the jail. He was coming up on a probation violation for a former domestic violence charge within two weeks so she set his bond at $50000 and granted my temp protective order. I left town fearing that he would be released. I hired an attorney and we have already been granted a two year protective order and I have temp sole custody. They have his criminal case information online. He had hearings for his probation violation and the new charge of misdemeanor assault causing bodily injusry to a family member on the same morning. He was sentenced to 6 months for the probation violation but on the new assault it says that they had a hearing and then it says no action taken. This can't mean that they are not going forth with those charges can it? I cannot imagine them dropping a violence charge for a person that has more than one offense of this type. Please advise. I left my job and moved hundreds of miles a way for myself and my children but I am still fearful of when he gets out.

Thank you for your time.

Tiffany

calatty

Sometimes prosecutors choose to handle a new offense as a probation violation instead of bringing new charges. That is within the prosecutor's discretion.

T

Tiffany9899

Thank you calatty. I had contacted the DA's office and was put off. I am glad that I finally have an explanation. I know where I stand now and that he will be out by July.

Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">