• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Embezzlement charges, $13+ First offense

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JasL0

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia .

A couple days ago I was fired from my job because I have been doing loans ( I work at a cash advance place ) and the amount of the loans equal to $13,590. My boyfriend was setting up people to come in and do loans w/o all of the info needed to do a cash advance and after they received the loan, they were splitting it with me and my boyfriend. Of course all of the charges are on me because it was my job and I'm the one who did the charges. They are trying to charge me with embezzlement and conspiracy.
I have no prior criminal experience, nineteen years old, 3month old daughter, full time student, and trying to start another job before the actual court date. It was bad judgements and mistakes and a dumb boyfriend.

I would like to know if anyone has an idea of what I could get?
I was thinking maybe probation, weekend terms, community service, paying it back etc. etc. w/o doing a continous term in jail.

I'm in virginia and in virginia anything over $200 is a felony...
is there any way or any ideas of how i could get this reduced or anything
?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Some Random Guy

It was bad judgements and mistakes and a dumb boyfriend.
Actually it was an ongoing conspiracy to defraud a business with prior planning and repeated occurances. This is your involvement as the key player in a string of felonies. You chose this path. At least have the decency to admit to yourself that you chose to be a criminal, not that it was a harmless mistake.

I would like to know if anyone has an idea of what I could get?
Virginia Code § 18.2-111 - Embezzlement deemed larceny; indictment - Virginia Virginia Code § 18.2-111 - Embezzlement deemed larceny; indictment - Virginia Code :: Justia

It depends on the exact charges. How many counts are you being charged with? For example a single charge of, § 18.2-111 Embezzlement deemed larceny is up to 20 years in state prison and a $2500 fine.

But "up to 20 years" gives the courts broad discretion. Here are some stats for typical outsomes in VA.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?071+oth+HB2459FH1160+PDF

FY2005 and FY2006 Felony Sentencing Information
§ 18.2-95(ii) – Larceny of $200 or more (not from person)
4,178 convictions
34.6% No incarceration
39.2% Jail (average sentence 4 mos.)
26.1% State Prison (average sentence 2 years)

§ 18.2-111 – Embezzlement of $200 or more
1,217 convictions
55.8% No incarceration
32.5% Jail (average sentence 2 mos.)
11.8% State Prison (average sentence 2 years)

Based on the possibility of multiple counts, the consipiracy charges and the high dollar amount stolen you really should be worried about a lengthy stay in state prision rather than hoping for a few weekends in jail.

I was thinking maybe probation, weekend terms, community service, paying it back etc. etc. w/o doing a continous term in jail.
Time for a reality check here. The courts will not sentence you at your convenience, but based on the severity of your crimes. Get a lawyer.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">