• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Embezzlement Charges?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

catchrb19

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Pretty much what happened ( I know I'm stupid ) was that I falsified returns and put them on gift cards. I either sold the gift cards or used them. I was called into my managers office today and talked to LP over the phone. I was dumb and answered all of his questions. Very co-operative. He was nice and talked to me like a human being. I offered to return everything that was still in my possession as soon as possible. At that point he told me the authorities would be called and they were. The cop came in didn't even ask me anything just took the copy of the statement I had written for the LP guy. Took a disk I assume with data or video data on it and left. That was it. I'm willing to pay them back 110% of what I took I'm sure it'll be more than that. I'm just afraid what's next. I'm in Virginia by the way. I already set up an appointment to talk to an attorney Monday. I don't know if I'm jumping the gun or being safe. I'm 25, I did have a felony in Texas when I was 18 that I completed an 18 month sentence for. The total amount taken was approx 2,000 dollar. They recovered/ I returned $950 of that. What am I looking at?

tranquility

I already set up an appointment to talk to an attorney Monday. I don't know if I'm jumping the gun or being safe. I'm 25, I did have a felony in Texas when I was 18 that I completed an 18 month sentence for. The total amount taken was approx 2,000 dollar. They recovered/ I returned $950 of that. What am I looking at?
Since:
I falsified returns and put them on gift cards.
seemed to have happened more than once and a part of a plan, no one knows.

Seeing an attorney is important. You won't know what you're facing until you see the charging document (or are notified of the charges). It looks to me there will be multiple counts of embezzlement and burglary here at the very least.

catchrb19

is probation or a suspended sentence a possibility? Yeah it was 7 counts, I just don't know of what. I won't know the charges until later on today when I turn myself in.

tranquility

They have a confession to 7 crimes. You need an attorney to tell. A smart attorney might try to make each count separate and not together as a single scheme or purpose to keep the amount stolen below $200. 7 misdemeanors is going to be much less of a problem than 7 felonies.

catchrb19

I think they are taking each gift card and charging me with each one. Since there are 7 charges against me. Several are under $200. The max on two of them was $500. Just from looking at each amount it appears it could be 3 felony charges and the rest misdemeanors.

FlyingRon

You can turn yourself in, but I recommend you say nothing (other than your personal information, name address, etc...) and that you wish to be represented by an attorney. If you are indigent, ask for a public defender.

You're in big trouble with multiple felonies. You could get 20 years without parole on the felonies. That's not likely but that's the magnitude of what you're up against. Probation, with a program of restitution, is likely. Virginia has some advisory sentencing guidelines (not binding on the courts/juries)...If convicted on all of those things (and making some other assumptions about your age, and having clean priors) you're just over the threshold where probation or some alternative to prison would be recommended.

LillianX

Talking to loss prevention was pretty much the dumbest thing you could have done. Probably among the dumbest things you've ever done.

Get an attorney BEFORE you turn yourself him, and have him accompany you. Because they already have a confession, they probably won't question you. He can argue bail for you.

Don't say a word to the police without your attorney present. In fact, don't say a word to ANYONE without an attorney present. Especially not the victim of your crime, in writing, in front of a camera.

Goodness, that was stupid.

dave33

Already your statement was a huge mistake. Do not make another one.
Listen to your lawyer. You already confessed. Whatever you had on your side, you gave that up.Ouch!!! goodluck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">