• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employee Verification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nbsxangel

What is the name of your state? California

I recently lost my job due to falsification on the application. (I know we shouldn't lie but it's hard to believe that you wouldn't be judged for stuff like that) I asked the HR lady if I'm able to put this job on my resume and she said it was fine. She said when employers call to verify former employees, she is only legally allowed to verify that I worked there. Nothing more.

This week, I had a friend call in, pretending to be a potential employer. Not only did she verify that I worked there, she also informed him that I was "terminated for misleading information on the employment application." :eek: My question is: Is she allowed to do that? Since she herself said she was only legally allowed to verify employment but no more.

I think I might just take that job experience off my resume. :(

HomeGuru

nbsxangel said:
What is the name of your state? California

I recently lost my job due to falsification on the application. (I know we shouldn't lie but it's hard to believe that you wouldn't be judged for stuff like that) I asked the HR lady if I'm able to put this job on my resume and she said it was fine. She said when employers call to verify former employees, she is only legally allowed to verify that I worked there. Nothing more.

This week, I had a friend call in, pretending to be a potential employer. Not only did she verify that I worked there, she also informed him that I was "terminated for misleading information on the employment application." :eek: My question is: Is she allowed to do that? Since she herself said she was only legally allowed to verify employment but no more.

I think I might just take that job experience off my resume. :(

**A: yes, she is allowed because the information she provided was factual and truthful.

stephenk

So if you take that job off your resume, what are you going to say at your next job interview when they ask what you were doing during that time period no job is listed?

N

nbsxangel

I was only there for 4 months. So I can say being a student (which i am) Just sucks that it's one less thing on my resume. My friend's father (who's a lawyer) said that there have been cases of employeees suing former employers for demafation as result of former employer providing more information and opinion rather than verifying employment. But the HR lady didn't do that. She answered the questions asked and I dont think she provided more than necessary. I'm not looking to sue tho, so whatevers.

H

hexeliebe

Just sucks that it's one less thing on my resume.
No, what sucks is that you lied. Period.

Consider it a very cheap life lesson. Because she very well could have said "this person LIED on their application."

N

nbsxangel

um....she DID say that. And yes, i lied and LOOK i PAID for it - as well as the mistake i made when i was 18. AND this thing will FOREVER follow me. ok?

You act as if you've never lied in ur life. I'm sure a lot of people are guilty of lying to make themselves look a little better.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">