• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

esponge question for Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Elvy

I am in Texas. I am 18 years old turning 19 in May.
When I was 15, I was put on probation for a Felony. (Breaking an entering) I recenlty have applied for a couple of jobs now. They always ask me if I have been convicted of a felony. I have always put no because I thought it would be off my record by now. Just today I called my old probation officer up and he told me that it would stay on my record until I turn 21. I am afraid that the jobs I applied for might see that I had a felony. The thing is I was a minor then and technically wasn't convicted but was adjudicated. Would that make any difference to say, Wal-Mart?

Kane

Go to this site: https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/DPS_WEB/Portal/index.aspx

and see what's on there.

If the case is there, talk to a lawyer and see what needs to be done to get it sealed.

Juvenile adjudications are not convictions, under Texas law, and you're correct if you say "no" to the question, "Have you ever been convicted?"

However, if a private company runs your history and sees your juvenile record, they're free to reject your application. And many of them will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">