• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

expungement -

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

djeddieed

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor charge. It was continued without a finding in March 1996.
this happen back in July 1995 in lowell ma
i served one yr probation and paid restitution successfully.
i want to be a COP! HELP. The test is sept 27.
They're asking me if i ever been convicted of a misdemeanor on the application. What should i Say?

Thank you so much

757driver

Be careful and read the question asked!

A conviction is not the same as a no contest for either a misdemeanor or a felony. Normally, a felony conviction will work against you. A misdemeanor, depending on the exact seriousness of the crime and how long ago you were convicted, might still keep you in consideration. A no contest, although not great, might still keep yoiu in consideration

Bottom line, answer the question TRUTHFULLY, but do not volunteer detailed answers - unless they ask for it on the application. Be brief. If you have to check yes, then whatever you write, mention that it was "something you were not proud of, you learnt your lesson and have moved on". Turn a negative into a positive but DO NOT LIE on the app. That would definitely be the kiss of death when you get hired and they do your background check and bingo they find the rap sheet which you just happened to omit from the app. If you get the interview, handle that in the same way. Most employers will value your honesty and integrity.

An example to a "have you ever been convicted, pled guilty or no contest to either a misdemeanor or a felony?" question might be:

In 1995, pled "no contest" to a misdemeanor charge unrelated to alcohol (DUI), drugs or Part 108 Airport Security. No findings by court, Mar 1996. If the question asks about misdemeanor convictions and you have none, then the answer is simply NO.

The most pointed app question I have seen, is " have you ever appeared in court for criminal proceedings?" Of course, this includes everything and you have no leeway in answering that one. But a straight conviction on a misdemeanor or felony is easy enough to answer.

Also, I would strongly suggest that you go to the court and check your own records to see what is still on file. You need to check both the police record and the minutes of the court hearings you attended. One is a police record on your arrest/booking/charge, the other is yr legal proceedings and eventual case disposition. The police check is normally available for a small fee, the court records are free with suitable ID & if you explain who you are and why you need the info. I would check these out FIRST before you write anything that could be construed as incriminating on an applicaton. Why make it harder than it already is?

Hope this helps, good luck.

Last edited:
D

djeddieed

wow thanks so much for the advice.

the crime was receiving stolen property/grand larceny over 250.

the actual question on the application is: "have you been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor that has not been annulled or expunged?".

Truthfully then it's no, eh?

this is driving me insane!

Thank you so much!!

757driver

You are welcome and I'm not even a legal beaver!

I just know what it feels like to be an underdog. The key word is CONVICTION. Yes, I know it can be confusing. If they ask you about it in the interview, tell it like it is. Legally and morally, if that is how the question is worded, then the answer is no. End of story.

All the same, I would still check yr records because then you are armed with the same info they are going to get on you - if they do a full background check - which, being the police dept., they will! And you will have the necessary paperwork in the interview with you, should they press the point. Then you can tell them truthfully what the situation is/was, pull out the documentation that backs up your story and then they should move on.

That's what I would do if I were you. Good luck & I hope you learned your lesson in life and will be a better cop for it!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">