• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expungement of Criminal Records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FLACHIEFSFAN

What is the name of your state? Currently FL, was NY

Hello to everyone and thank you for reading my post.

In 1983, I was arrested for a felony assault 2nd WRT at the age of 22 in upstate New York, which was subsequently dropped to a misdemeanor charge in lieu of probation, due to this being my first and only charge against my record. Since then, I have obtained a BS in Psychology and an MS in Human Services and have led an exemplary life with not as much as a traffic ticket on my record. I really love my employment as a counselor, but I was recently notified about this charge that keeps coming back to haunt me like a recurring nightmare twenty-two years later and I'm afraid that this lingering issue may terminate my employment.

I've read the article at: http://www.uslegalforms.com/lawdigest/expungement-criminal-records-law.php/NY/NY-EXP.htm regarding "New York Law Summary Expungement of Criminal Records" but find this article quite vague in terms of application (for example, DNA records may be expunged. What about my criminal record?")

With over $80,000 in student loans, I cannot afford to be unemployed due to an isolated issue that occurred over twenty years ago. Is this something that may be expunged? Should I contact the town clerk for this issue or the judge residing in that jurisdiction? Is there anything else I should be concerned about?

Thank you for reading my inquiry. Any advice would greatly be appreciated!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">