• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expungement of criminal records in Ohio

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Blueyedzgal0926

What is the name of your state? Ohio.
I have two criminal charges against me in the Municipal Court of Springfield, Ohio. I am trying to get them expunged as I did not do any jail time for either and just had to pay court costs. I was not even aware that these existed until I was refused a job by a very prominent company because of the background checks they did on me. One was in 1997 for disorderly conduct, the other was in 1999, using a weapon while under the influence. As I stated, I never served any time in jail. I did plead guilty to one offense which was the misconduct charge as it was in self defense but plead not guilty to the other charge. How do I get these records expunged so I can get a job and support myself. I have been without a job for 3 years now.

Last edited:

Expungement procedure.

You must file motions with the Sprngfield Municipal Court to have those convictions expunged under Revised Code Section 2953.32. You must serve your motion on the prosecutor, and it must be supported by reasons that you can be considered a 1st time offender, and not otherwise a danger to the community. The motion is discretionary with the trial court. Let me know if I can help further.

B

Blueyedzgal0926

Expungement of records

I had filed a Judgement Entry with the municipal court but because I have two criminal offenses (one in 97 and one in 99) they will not expunge my records. I went straight to te Judge who sentenced me and I received a letter yesterday stating that she can do nothing for me because of two convictions. I'm in hot water with no money, no job and nothing to support myself with.

Thanks for your advice. I'm going to write the governor and see if that wil help.

JETX

In all candor, you can write to whoever you want, but it won't do any good. Simply, you do not qualify for the 'right' of expungement. The process is designed to give those who, for some reason, got into trouble ONCE in their life and to get that ONE time incident removed to go forward.

And though your post tries to hide the fact that you have two convictions (by claiming that these were just 'charges' and that you " did not do any jail time"), it is clear that you were convicted of both charges. As such, you do not meed the statutory provisions to allow expungement.

For more, go to:
http://www.hamilton-co.org/MunicipalCourt/Expungement/Expungement.htm

Your only hope to remove these would be a pardon from the governor, and that will not happen unless you have provided some spectactular merit or public service.

B

Blueyedzgal0926

Pardon from governor

I expected your answer to my comment. I knew this but was hoping against hope that SOMEONE would please just have a clue or answer for me. I knew that two strikes and you're out with the court system but one was self defense and the other was domestic violence (Drunk Husband)... so.. guess I'll just ride out my 20 years until they are off my record. I should have waited to get remarried and just spunged off the Welfare System like most people do these days.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">