• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

expungement denied, why?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

773rd

What is the name of your state? AR

I had a felony conviction for possesion of marijuana in 1997 and was placed on probation, I could not afford my probation officer so was in turn arrested for violation of my probation when involved in a car accident in 2000 and went to jail to do my time for 6mo in RPF in Texarkana AR, I am trying to get my record expunged and sent all the paperwork into the prosecutor who in turn sent a letter back to the judge and myself saiying I was not sentenced uder any statue that would allow for sealing of my record. I have been clean for almost 10 years and have not been in any other trouble, why can I not get this expunged? What are additional steps I can take to appeal this? Anything? I cant get a decent job to care for my family due to this. Please send advice. Thanks in advance.

fairisfair

Ark. Code Ann. 16-93-1207

Upon the successful completion of probation, the court may direct that defendants record be expunged of the offense of which defendant was convicted where:

Defendant was under age 26 at the time of the commission of the felony offense and had no more than 1 previous felony conviction, which felony was not:
(1) capital offense, (2) 1st-degree murder, (3) 2nd-degree murder, (4) 1st-degree rape, (5) kidnapping, or (6) aggravated robbery; or

defendant was over age 18 and does not have a previous conviction for delivering controlled substances to a minor; or
defendant has no prior felony convictions.

Do you meet the criteria for expungment in Arkansas?

773rd

Yes I was under age 26, and there were no previous convictions against me, this is why I am so confused at the prosecutors decision. Is the prosecutors word the final answer or is there a court date following this letter? there is nothing else in the letter except that I was not sentenced under any statue that would allow for sealing, I honeslty dont even know what that means. Is this the answer I have to accept?

You Are Guilty

Ark. Code Ann. 16-93-1207

[highlight]Upon the successful completion of probation[/highlight], the court may direct that defendants record be expunged of the offense of which defendant was convicted where:

Defendant was under age 26 at the time of the commission of the felony offense and had no more than 1 previous felony conviction, which felony was not:
(1) capital offense, (2) 1st-degree murder, (3) 2nd-degree murder, (4) 1st-degree rape, (5) kidnapping, or (6) aggravated robbery; or

defendant was over age 18 and does not have a previous conviction for delivering controlled substances to a minor; or
defendant has no prior felony convictions.

Do you meet the criteria for expungment in Arkansas?
I've highlighted what appears to be the problem:
773rd said:
had a felony conviction for possesion of marijuana in 1997 and was placed on probation, I could not afford my probation officer so was in turn [highlight]arrested for violation of my probation[/highlight] when involved in a car accident in 2000 and went to jail to do my time for 6mo in RPF in Texarkana AR
Just a guess though :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">