• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

expungement of felony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Judy Napier

What is the name of your state? Kansas

subject: felony conviction, level 7, committed with firearm during domestic violence in 2000. questions: can felony be expunged and what is the procedure? if so, at what point in time after the conviction and completion of the sentence can the person that committed the felony petition the courts for expungement? can the person who was covicted of the felony ever own a fire arm again? can the person convicted of the felony be allowed firearms in same home if they belong to another person and are kept in a locked gun safe and, if so, would the record need to be expunged before that could take place? also can convicted felon have in his/her possession a black powder gun and still be within the legal limitation of the felony conviction.

N

NancyLou9

The laws vary from state to state

You will need to check with a lawyer or the clerk of courts to see what is involved.

I don't even know if the clerk of courts can help you tho.

All I can tell you is what is in Ohio.

In Ohio, I *think* it's 10 years with no other convictions and you can file with the court for expungement.

What this means in Ohio is that the file is removed from any docket, computer, etc. and placed in a sealed envelope.

However, when I was the records manager for a county in Ohio, I was contacted by the FBI daily for gun ownership background checks and then the file can be unsealed.

Given your history tho, I don't know that I'd be worrying about owning a gun again. Unless you've had MAJOR anger management therapy and additional therapy with a licensed psychologist, I would say you have a snowball's chance of ever owning a gun again.

I don't know that I'd want to live in the same town as you, given the circumstances of your felony conviction 3 years ago.

You need to look into the expungement laws for your state. When you go for an expungement, it is thru the court the convicted you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">