• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

expungement in MA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

majkul96

What is the name of your state? MA I am currently on probation for a misdemeanor but trying to get a good job that requires a criminal background check. Can my record be sealed even while I am on probation? Also I have a few other midemeanor charges from a few years ago if I can't have the charge I am currently on probation would I at least be able to have the old ones sealed so that my record would ony show the one conviction?

JETX

"I am currently on probation for a misdemeanor but trying to get a good job that requires a criminal background check. Can my record be sealed even while I am on probation?"
*** No.

"Also I have a few other midemeanor charges from a few years ago if I can't have the charge I am currently on probation would I at least be able to have the old ones sealed so that my record would ony show the one conviction?"
*** The answer would depend on the timing of the "other midemeanor charges".

M

majkul96

The other charges are a few years old. Do you know what the time frame (even if approx.) is for having a record expunged?

757driver

JETX said:
It appears that you have to have been without conviction for 10 years before a seal request.
If you have no misdemeanor or felony convictions, then it's a different story.

I was arrested for alleged battery/DV last year, pled not guilty because it was a big misunderstanding and I have never done jail time or been arrested before for anything. The court came to an adjudication with me and eventually the charge was dropped by the city and the case dismissed. I was not convicted for anything, yet I have an arrest record and minutes of court hearings the past 8 months.

I was able to get the record sealed in Family court (for the divorce petition and original restraining order was also quashed) and the court bailiff in the criminal case gave me a sheet on sealing of records as I walked out of court last week. I did not have to wait 10 years! I was only ever charged with a crime, not convicted of anything, maybe because it was not a solid, open-and-shut case??!!

Last edited:

JETX

Did you even READ this thread.

Your case is in NEVADA. The writer is in Massachusetts. Unless you know something special, these are NOT the same states....... wise ass!!!

Hope the hell you do better at 'driving' your toy 757 around the room then you do trying to figure out that the expungment or sealing requirements are different in each state!!

757driver

Don't get your knickers in such a twist JETX! My toy 757 is bigger and better than your puny JET-X.....

I'm more than well aware about differences between states, just wanted to see if you are all awake and what gets your goat. OK, you can go back to sleep now.

JETX

Just like a typical jerk. When shown that his post was moronic and inane...... claims "Ah, man. I was just joshin'".
What a waste of oxygen. Go back to your flightsim game.

757driver

But dear BOY, I am playing my flightsim game - with YOU!!!!

P.S. What do you call a line of lawyers from one side of the ocean to the other? A: shark bait B: a good start

No smoke without fire, eh??
Sir, YOU are the biggest jerk here - that is very clear by yr posts which are condescending. What gives you that right, just because you are a lawyer? So WHAT! That does not make you special, rather the reverse.
HAVE A NICE DAY!!!!!

JETX

"Last year I was arrested on a misdemeanor charge of battery/domestic violence and spent 3 days in jail before getting bailed"

Just another post from an unemployed wanna be convicted former baggage handler..... who likes to beat on women!!

757driver

JETX wrote:

"Just another post from an unemployed wanna be convicted former baggage handler..... who likes to beat on women!!"

Wrong again, JETX! Boy, do you assume a lot or what?

Looks like you don't practice what you preach either, ie. read the previous posts carefully to get the relevant, accurate details. If you had, you would KNOW that I was NEVER convicted!

You are also wrong in that I have never been a baggage handler, a wannabe nor beaten women. You are not even close. And to think that you are actually giving posters "advice" is even more amazing!

FYI, my case is over with and everything is fine. You don't know me nor have personal knowledge of my case. You have merely read into it what you want. Sorry to disappoint your tainted ego by having a "happy" ending. Tell me something, are you always such a negative person? Do you really think that the judicial sytem NEVER makes mistakes and innocent people have never been convicted or sent to jail? Heck, you've made plenty on this public forum!!!

You come over as extremely biased and self-opinionated, taking the stance that if a person was arrested he/she MUST have committed a crime and deserves a conviction. That may be the case for some, but not for EVERYONE! Is this what they taught you in law school?

Why can't you just give free, honest & unbiased advice which is the purpose of this forum, instead of dissing people with genuine problems?

JETX

Wow, do YOU need a reality check.

"You are also wrong in that I have never been a baggage handler, a wannabe nor beaten women."
*** From YOUR own post:
"I recently went through hell when a case of battery/domestic violence was brought against me by the City of Las Vegas."

"you would KNOW that I was NEVER convicted!"
*** Yes you were. You pled not guilty and got deferred adjudication ("The judge deferred judgment"). Spin it how you want.... but that is a conviction...

And if you weren't convicted, why the hell were you whining and pleading to have your RECORD expunged ("What is the difference between sealing of a record and expungement of a criminal record")??

And you still don't 'get it'..... ("I spent 3 days in jail for what was basically a misunderstanding"). Yeah, right. Beating on your wife is all a 'misunderstanding'.

And in case you want to review, those statements came from your post at:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?threadid=156331

So, lets summarize:
- You beat your wife, sufficient enough for the officers to arrest you.
- You pled no contest and got deferred.
- You are unemployed.
- You are now seeking expungement or sealing of your CRIMINAL record.
Yep, sounds like a REAL winner to me!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">