• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expungement/Records Sealed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Reea

What is the name of your state? Maryland
In 1999 my 18 year old daughter went shopping with a friend who dared her to take a $12 shirt. She did and was arrested and charged with shoplifting under $300-a misdomenor. We didn't find about this until several years later, therefore, couldn't advise her. It has been six years since the incident and the incident is still in her record. When she applies for jobs, they normally require background checks and she isn't considered because of what happened six years ago. She hasn't been in any trouble since then.

Is this going to follow her for the rest of her life? It's very frustrating and depressing. I feel the system is setting up young people up for failure instead of success. OK enough of my ranting.

I've been told my daughter's record could not be expunged. Is a governor's pardon realistic? Can her records be sealed and what does that mean?

Thank you for any help you can offer :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">