• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

expunging a conviction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

optimo

I'm from Minnesota. A few years back, I fled a peace officer in my motorcycle and went to jail. I never saw an attorney before I went before the judge to enter my plea. I was suppose to see a public defender. I pled guilty or no contest. It was a felony, but the judge dropped it to a gross misdemeanor and it would stay that way as long as I stayed out of trouble. I was not able to stay out of trouble, but it wasn't the same kind of trouble. I had traffic infractions. I drove with a revoked license. Now I'm a felon. Had I seen an attorney, been advised of the repercussions and the severity of my crime, and/or not had a concussion from crashing my bike, I would have entered a not guilty plea.

When I was in jail, the came to see the judge. They whisked me away without me seeing anybody, besides the prosecuter...I think. It was a man asking me a few questions. What kind of questions? I do not remember.

Is it legal for them to bring me in front of a judge to enter a plea without seeing an attorney? Especially since I was appointed one, but I never got to see her before entering my plea.

JETX

Your subject line says, 'expunging a conviction"
Yet, there is absolutely NOTHING in your post about expunging.

Please post your 'expungement' question.

Last edited:
O

optimo

I'm sorry I didn't say anything about expunging a conviction. I will try to clarify what I was trying to get at.

I was wondering if my conviction could be expunged due to the fact that I was appointed an attorney (public defender), but I never saw one before I had to face the judge to enter my plea.

JETX

"I was wondering if my conviction could be expunged due to the fact that I was appointed an attorney (public defender), but I never saw one before I had to face the judge to enter my plea."
*** Answer: No. And your lack of counsel would have absolutely NOTHING to do with an expungement. That would go to any appeal that you might have considered (if the time allowed for appeal had not expired, which it has).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">