• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Felony Conviction 18 Years Ago (Options?)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SWilliams68

Texas Class C Felony Conviction
Burglary of a Vehicle

History:
I was charged in 1987 with "Burglary of a Vehicle" and received 4 Years Deferred probation. 1989 I got my second DWI and my probation was revoked. The revocation resulted in a change from 4 years deferred to 10 years standard probation and a stipulation that I must attend drug & alcohol rehibilitation. I went to treatment and completed the 10 years probation as a model probationee. I have done presentations and spoken to many youth about self esteem, peer pressure, drugs/alcohol, and also person history. Since that time I have worked as a technology contractor for government agencies and the Federal Prision System. I have been in computer technology & security for the past 15 years. I recently acquired my CISSP "Certified Information Systems Security Professional" certification, a touted Industry cert.

Current Problem:
I recently acquired my CISSP "Certified Information Systems Security Professional" certification, a touted Industry cert. I am having a problem with the felony in my background while appling for jobs because they as "Have you EVER been convicted of a felony". Some do not even let you explain. I am a completely different person than I was back then.

Statement:
This is really holding my career back and it seems that our rehibilation system is still set to people who do change back

Questions:
1. Is there a way to get around the question and still be honest?
2. Are there any options in Texas to have it removed?
3. Is there a time limit or any other way around this problem?

Thanks,

Sean

Kane

Well, there's no such thing as a "Class C Felony" in Texas.

The misdemeanors are A, B, and C, and felonies are 1st, 2nd, and 3rd degree, and state jail.

Burglary of a Vehicle is today a class A misdemeanor.

However, back in 1987 it was - I believe - still a felony. If you got ten years probation, it must have been.

If your deferred adjudication was revoked, and you were put on regular probation, that record is permanent. Short of a pardon, there's nothing you can do about it.

why not?

considering the turn around this person seems to have made ( if true then congrats) they asking for a pardon from the governor is not out of the question. You could, why not? Explain it the way you just did and show how far you have come and ask for help. You may just get it. Good luck

jsarber

I'm no law expert but I've been told that you cannot deny a person a job based on his/her criminal record unless it directly relates to the job. For instance, a person convicted of kidnapping a child could never get a job as a teacher. But I'm sure most employers could get around that and make the crime relate to the job.

dialectic

i wouldnt hold your breathe

My record is from 15 yrs ago....i have a pardon and they still wont let me--its always ever been convicted or charged or good moral conduct

every place asks--

take a trade, no traditional trade, or trucking, real estate

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">