• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Offense Assault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scorch656

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

Hello, thanks for taking the time to read this :)

I recently became involved in an assault/domestic assault. My baby's mother, whom lives with me, had been talking to a customer from work for about 3 weeks. I found out about him and that she had went on a date with him and became enraged.

I was picking my daughter up from where she works and right as I was leaving, I seen him pull into the parking lot. I got out and said his name and confronted him about seeing and talking to her. I ended up pushing him in the chest several times and during this my baby's mother grabbed me from behind to try and seperate us and suprised me. I incidently knocked her down when I went to shake her arms off me.

Finally I went to run and tackle him but I slipped in the grass. As I tried to get back up, he got down behind me and put me quickly into a choke hold from behind. I couldn't shake him off, so I tried punching backwards to hit him in the head, telling him to get off my neck. He kept proceeding to keep me in the choke hold, so I used one hand to reach back and choke him till he findly let go and grabbed my pinky finger and yanked it to the side, injuring it. Finally as we come up from wrestling, I got one punch in and then proceeded to leave the scene like they were telling me to.

I called my baby's mothers phone and the police answered. They wanted me to come back to the scene to get my statement, but I didn't from fearing they'd arrest me right then. They put a warrant out and I was arrested that night from my home.

I am just wanting to ask if I should be really worried. What do you think the penalty will be? Supposedly the guy isn't wanting to press charges and is gonna say he understands why I attacked him. Me and my baby's mother are staying together and she is going to say her falling down was obviously an accident.

It is my first offense and I dont want to show up looking stupid or end up being sent to jail.

Any information would be great! :)

JETX

I am just wanting to ask if I should be really worried.
'Worried' about what?? Getting hit by a meteor?? Struck by lightening?? Missing a meal??

What do you think the penalty will be?
No one can guess. Too many unknowns, like your prior history, current probation status, charges filed, etc.

Supposedly the guy isn't wanting to press charges and is gonna say he understands why I attacked him. Me and my baby's mother are staying together and she is going to say her falling down was obviously an accident.
So, if everyone lies to protect you (they ARE idiots!!).. no problem right??

It is my first offense and I dont want to show up looking stupid or end up being sent to jail.
From your story, you don't have to worry about looking 'stupid'. You have already done that.

scorch656

'Worried' about what?? Getting hit by a meteor?? Struck by lightening?? Missing a meal??

No one can guess. Too many unknowns, like your prior history, current probation status, charges filed, etc.

So, if everyone lies to protect you (they ARE idiots!!).. no problem right??

From your story, you don't have to worry about looking 'stupid'. You have already done that.
thanks for nothing, the situation already has me upset...

you poking fun at me and making jokes helped none at all...

this is a serious matter to me, you could have asked questions if you felt I had left something out

so thanks again for nothing...

xylene

You have admitted to several acts against 'baby momma' and her other boyfriend that rise to the level of criminality.

You assaulted her and him.

The cooperation of your victims is NOT required to prosecute you successfully.

You should be prepared to do some jail time.

dave33

There are alot of unknowns, the issue now is what are you being charged with? In this situation it's never to early to get a lawyer. Since you have already been charged, don't be tricked into incriminating yourself. Retain a lawyer and let him handle the situation. It is likely that if you are conviced of dom. abuse against your baby's mother that you will have a no-contact order issued whether she wants one or not. goodluck.

justsomecop

In most states when you get arrested and make bail they tell you that you cannot have contact with the victims involved. If you are in fact living with your girl right now, you are in clear violation of that order. I don't know what Tennessee does but I would read your bail paperwork. I know that in many situations, first offenders get probation depending on the seriousness of the crime. You will have to look at the criminal code you were charged with and look up what the penalty is for the crime. Alot of this will depend on how aggressive the prosecutor is. If he wants to push the issue of making you serve the max then you are screwed. It would be best if you hired an attorney or seeked assistance from the public defender's office. If I were you I would have no contact with the victims whatsoever during this process. Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">