• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Time felony. what to expect?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

WeirdKid

What is the name of your state? Oregon

My friend was arrest on a burglary/theft charge and is going to court next month. The crime is not as serious because the building was not occupied and there were no dangerous weapons used. This is his first offense, but he is afraid he might have to serve jail time considering it is a felony. Should he be worried about going to jail? Or should he be worried about paying the fine? If he cant pay the fine will he serve jail time?

JETX

"This is his first offense, but he is afraid he might have to serve jail time considering it is a felony. Should he be worried about going to jail?"
*** Probably not, but no one can answer with any certainty. There are simply too many variables, including a full review of the circumstances and the 'mood' of the court and prosecutor. Some courts and/or prosecutors are VERY strict, some aren't.

"Or should he be worried about paying the fine?"
*** It is VERY likely that he will get hit with a substantial fine and costs, with a lesser chance of jail time.

"If he cant pay the fine will he serve jail time?"
*** Eventually, yes.

P

person500

"tell him to get the butt lube ready"

"tell him to get the butt lube ready" J/K

I would say that there is a very low probability of facing jail time so I would not worry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">