• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Georgia First Offender

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

examoeba

I'm in Georgia.

I have read a great deal of information about the First Offender Program. It's my understanding that upon successful completion of probation, it removes the conviction from your criminal history. I also understand that it is the judge's discretion whether to allow it. Does anyone know what criteria most judges use to determine who does/doesn't get it? The crime in question is a Theft over $500, which is a felony.

If I am allowed First Offender, does the conviction show up while I am probation then get deleted upon successful completion or just not show up at all unless I violate probation?

How does First Offender affect the legal right to own a gun and vote in the future?

Also a question about restitution- how is that usually paid? Is it something that I would write a check monthly to the court or is it required to be deducted from my paycheck (letting my employer know I'm under court order to pay something)? If there's any way possible, I really don't want my employer to know what's going on.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">