• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Georgia First Offender Expungement and Restoration of rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

schach_ark

Georgia

In the early 90's in Gwinnett County I was charged with simple battery though my punch followed blows to my person. The other party happened to be my adult daughter whom I was putting out of my home for disrespect and verbal abuse. I was charged and to avoid further damage to my daughter or my family I plead nolo under the first offenders act - following several efforts by my daughter to retract her accusations made in anger. I served 1 year of probation and have had no other incidents of any type. Now, over 10 years later I try to purchase a shotgun for my son and find my record blocks that under conviction of misdemeanor family violence.

First, I thought that the first offenders act protected me from having a record as none was entered. If my understanding is correct, how do I follow up on this?

Second, if that is not correct, how do I proceed with action to clear my record or have it expunged? My daughter and family continue to support me in this. We thought it was a non-issue with the probation service.

Third, will that restore my right to purchase and or possess a firearm?

Thank you for your posts and emails.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">