• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting off bench probation early?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ty0604

Oregon

I’m on bench probation from a Class C Misdemeanor. I was given 18-months and it’s been 12-months right now. It’s my first ever arrest and I have not been in trouble since. I’ve paid off of my fines and court cost and taken the classes that I was required to take. Did all that 6-months ago.

When I was sentenced, my court appointed attorney said I could be released early if I met all the criteria.

My mom passed away and I’d like to move out of the area and get a new start.

So... Does anyone know what my chances are of actually getting off bench probation 6 months early? And what I need to do?

No, I haven’t called the courthouse yet. Was looking for advice on here before I did.

xylene

What was your crime?

You will need to ask if you are eligible for 'Early Termination Of Probation' and what steps you need to do to get that done.

It is possible they will work with you, it is possible they will not.

Whatever you do, do not move out of state until you have written evidence you are released from the court's supervision. It is possible they may transfer you

Be sure to keep doing everything exactly right, especially notifying of any address changes.

You might consider having the help of a lawyer.

Ty0604

What was your crime?

You will need to ask if you are eligible for 'Early Termination Of Probation' and what steps you need to do to get that done.

It is possible they will work with you, it is possible they will not.

Whatever you do, do not move out of state until you have written evidence you are released from the court's supervision. It is possible they may transfer you

Be sure to keep doing everything exactly right, especially notifying of any address changes.

You might consider having the help of a lawyer.
Would I just go to the courthouse and ask? I’m trying to move at the end of June. I have a job offer in another state as well and I’m not working here. I’m thinking that might help my cause. My crime was theft III. Beer from a local store. Grand total of $10.59 after deposit. It’ll be off my record after the 18-months and I don’t care if it stays on that long. Just want to be able to move.

quincy

Oregon

I�m on bench probation from a Class C Misdemeanor. I was given 18-months and it�s been 12-months right now. It�s my first ever arrest and I have not been in trouble since. I�ve paid off of my fines and court cost and taken the classes that I was required to take. Did all that 6-months ago.

When I was sentenced, my court appointed attorney said I could be released early if I met all the criteria.

My mom passed away and I�d like to move out of the area and get a new start.

So... Does anyone know what my chances are of actually getting off bench probation 6 months early? And what I need to do?

No, I haven�t called the courthouse yet. Was looking for advice on here before I did.
No one here can tell you what your chances are of getting your probationary term shortened. It is entirely up to the judge.

A motion for modification of terms of probation will need to be filed. Your goal will be to convince the judge that not only have you fulfilled all terms of your probation early but that you have learned from your experience.

I recommend you have an attorney in your area assist you with this. The attorney will know what to say and, just as important, what not to say. Having an attorney should better your chances of being released from probation early.

I am sorry to hear about the death of your mom, Ty0604.

Good luck.

FlyingRon

You other option is to ask for the probation to be transferred to your proposed new location. If you are in good standing, such transfers are routinely approved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">