• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grouds for legal action?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hblackburn959

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Okay so here's my story. In October I went into JC Penny and tried some things on and accidentally walked out with a pair of earrings on. I was then pulled into the back by loss prevention and question. As I tried to explain my situation, I was told that they did not want to heear my excuses, they knew what I did and that I should just co-operate. When I then asked what would happen if I did not admit to stealing the earrings, I was told, and this is verbatim, "If you don't sign this admission of guilt, we will call the police, tell the officer you are not cooperating, and you will then be taken down to the police station and charged with a felony." I've NEVER been in trouble before and was terrified. I work at a daycare and was scared of losing my job if I went to jail, I was not allowed to use my cell phone, so I signed it. Is this a threat/coersion? And is it legal? I went to court to fight it but was found guilty, despite the fact that it was an ACCIDENT. I'm going to go back with a public defender to fight it again, but I would like to know if I have grounds to sue, or even threaten to sue as some kind of leverage?

CdwJava

Who would you sue? You were found guilty at a trial? The presumption is, then, that you committed the offense. And unless you can show that people lied or falsified evidence,what makes you think you have a right to sue anyone?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">