• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Guilty/Not Guilty vs Innocent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CuriousGeorge61

What is the name of your state?I live in Texas. Recently I have read newspaper articles where the journalist stated that a defendant was "Found innocent of all charges"...

It has always been my understanding that there were only TWO basic verdicts available in a court of law. "GUILTY" and "NOT GUILTY" with varying conditions such as "Not Guilty by reason of Insanity", etc...

Has this changed? If so, when did Innocent become an allowable verdict?

:confused:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

CuriousGeorge61 said:
What is the name of your state?I live in Texas. Recently I have read newspaper articles where the journalist stated that a defendant was "Found innocent of all charges"...

It has always been my understanding that there were only TWO basic verdicts available in a court of law. "GUILTY" and "NOT GUILTY" with varying conditions such as "Not Guilty by reason of Insanity", etc...

Has this changed? If so, when did Innocent become an allowable verdict?

:confused:

My response:

You make a valid point. For juries, there are only two "basic" choices, as you mentioned. There is a distinct difference between Not Guilty and Innocent. Apparently, the newspaper was taking "editorial license" when saying "innocent" which, if the decision was made by a jury, is inaccurate. A judge is the only person who can make a judgment of "innocence" - - not a jury.

IAAL

C

CuriousGeorge61

To: I Am Alway Liable

So what you are saying is that there IS a verdict of "Innocent", but only by a judge?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">