• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

He public defender sucks and time is running out. PLEASE HELP US FAST !!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dreemzrreal

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Alaska
I need to know what you need to do to be allowed to defend yourself since the public defender assigned to a case is not doing a thing to help let alone represent?
My fiance has been incarcerated for almost 6 weeks and he has only spoken to his public defender for less than 30 minutes. She cant call him since he is in jail. She has not been availabe to him ANY of the times she has told him specific times to call her. She refuses to let anyone help with the communication problem by listening to any messages, that we have so desperatly tried to get to her from him. She has not done even one thing to help him in any way. She has even told him, on a few of the questions that he has asked her, to look it up in the law library in the jail because she was not to sure of the ansewer.
We really need help fast. He is facing extradition from Alaska to Alabama and we know we have several options but everything has to be filed, mediated, and/or completley handled by an attorney. He is running out of time to do much at all here unless someone starts speaking for him in his behalf. He has not even seen a judge for a preliminary or bond hearing. She really sucks!!!!
PLEASE HELP FAST!!!!

Son of Slam

dreemzrreal said:
I need to know what you need to do to be allowed to defend yourself since the public defender assigned to a case is not doing a thing to help let alone represent?
My fiance has been incarcerated for almost 6 weeks and he has only spoken to his public defender for less than 30 minutes. She cant call him since he is in jail. She has not been availabe to him ANY of the times she has told him specific times to call her. She refuses to let anyone help with the communication problem by listening to any messages, that we have so desperatly tried to get to her from him. She has not done even one thing to help him in any way. She has even told him, on a few of the questions that he has asked her, to look it up in the law library in the jail because she was not to sure of the ansewer.
We really need help fast. He is facing extradition from Alaska to Alabama and we know we have several options but everything has to be filed, mediated, and/or completley handled by an attorney. He is running out of time to do much at all here unless someone starts speaking for him in his behalf. He has not even seen a judge for a preliminary or bond hearing. She really sucks!!!!
PLEASE HELP FAST!!!!

***Two things people do not seem to understand are the Maranda Law and Public Defenders. They seem to think that these two are God's gifts to the bad guys and are disappointed every time. Again I say here, "A public defender has a fool for a client." If you do not understand that, maybe, "You get what you pay for," will help? Do you think maybe DA, PD and PD might have something in common? Like maybe they work together and your boyfriend is just more scum to them? Is not it time for a new boyfriend? Is it time for a tow back to Alabama?

calatty

Most states have a procedure for requesting a substitute public defender from the judge if the one you have is not providing effective assistance, like not filing meritorious motions. If you want someone to sit with him for hours and listen to him and answer his every legal question, then hire an attorney.

HomeGuru

dreemzrreal said:
PLEASE HELP FAST!!!!
**A: Damn it, hire a private attorney for him. Right now he's heading for some ole southern food.

G

GlassHouse

I'm in Illinois
I have to chime in on this.
The reasoning behind the existing PD office is to protect the people who can't afford an attorney.
Whats the rationality if they can't do the job?
They get paid, all of us pay them. I really have a hard time with the advice from the senior members on this matter.
So he doesn't get as much money as he wants? Thats screwed.
Some one is forgetting thier honor.

Bob

VR_Hunter

I'm in Illinois
I have to chime in on this.
The reasoning behind the existing PD office is to protect the people who can't afford an attorney.
Whats the rationality if they can't do the job?
They get paid, all of us pay them. I really have a hard time with the advice from the senior members on this matter.
So he doesn't get as much money as he wants? Thats screwed.
Some one is forgetting thier honor.

Bob
At the risk of offending some of the senior members......oh what the hell. :p

We are talking about lawyers here. LAWYERS!! While a majority does care about the job, there are a lot that let their biases affect their judgment. "I am not a lawyer so I don't have to worry about my biased opinions".

The PD, as far as I am concerned, is like a doctor in the military. Most are there because they couldn't or wouldn't be hired by anyone else, or don't have what it takes to start their own practice.

To be fair, some use it to gain experience. The PD has a job to do, but that doesn't mean they must "give it their all" when they are forced to defend someone they know is guilty. I applaud the PD who doesn't go out of their way to defend someone who they believe is guilty and, by all rights, needs to be in jail and extradited.

As far as your last statement.... lets be real.... there is no honor among crooks, thieves, criminals, etc. There is a code, but no honor.

"Yes, I know that is the improper use of an ellipse" Rebuttals?

K

krispenstpeter

dreemzrreal said:
PLEASE HELP FAST!!!!

You know, all the posts about attorneys and Public Defenders have absolutely nothing to do with this poster's issue. The fact that there were NO FACTS regarding the CASE has a lot to do with it.

Public defenders are like anyone else. While many use the office to gain experience, the knowledge or lack thereof has little to do with it. Some move on to the Prosecutor's office, some into private practice. And still others become teachers. Equating the TYPE of service some choose to participate in (such as the idiot who equated military doctors with incompetence) is simply ignorant and does not answer the question of this post.

dreemzrreal, instead of coming here with claims that have absolutely no merit to your fiance's CASE, come back with specifics of the charges, what you KNOW the PD has not done and what you KNOW his options are.

As of now all we know is you are not happy with the service your fiance is receiving free.

Do you know the specific questions he's asked of the PD? If they are of a sufficient type to warrant the response "look it up" such as "what does this mean?" then it's a waste of her time to babysit him. She may have already spoken with the Prosecutor, the police, his parole office and a number of other people regarding his case.

And believe it or not, she is under no obligation to speak with you. Your fiance is her client. NOT you. And, miracle of all miracles, your FIANCE COULD be lying to you.

Ever think of that?

VR_Hunter

To krispenstpeter:
You know, all the posts about attorneys and Public Defenders have absolutely nothing to do with this poster's issue. The fact that there were NO FACTS regarding the CASE has a lot to do with it.
***"NO FACTS" That is why the orginal post was mostly ignored. Notice the quotations in my previous post. They were meant for that person.

Equating the TYPE of service some choose to participate in (such as the idiot who equated military doctors with incompetence) is simply ignorant and does not answer the question of this post.

***Ignorant: unaware, uniformed, badly informed? Obviously you haven't had the experience of being under the care or associated with many of our military doctors. I have for 20 years. I can and will continue to make the equation. Agian, notice the quotes of my post. Did I touch a nerve? I would say in this instance, by definition, YOU are the one who is ignorant on this particular subject.

***After reading quite few of your more than off the subject responses, I can't believe you even posted the above quoted statements.

VR_Hunter

Neither am I. I don't like being called Ignorant on subjects I happen to know something about.

As for the first part of my original post, it was meant as tongue in cheek joke. I hope your skin is thicker than that.

K

krispenstpeter

Obviously you haven't had the experience of being under the care or associated with many of our military doctors.
Sorry, but you'd be wrong. Not only was I under the care of Air Force doctors for 8 of my first 16 years, I was also under their care for 4 years of active duty which included two bullet holes and a variety of other 'injuries'.

Then for another 6 years I was under the care of various military doctors in Europe while assigned to NATO as a civilian.

So next time you decide to make smart comments, remember, you don't have any idea to whom you're speaking.

VR_Hunter

krispenstpeter said:
Sorry, but you'd be wrong. Not only was I under the care of Air Force doctors for 8 of my first 16 years, I was also under their care for 4 years of active duty which included two bullet holes and a variety of other 'injuries'.

Then for another 6 years I was under the care of various military doctors in Europe while assigned to NATO as a civilian.

So next time you decide to make smart comments, remember, you don't have any idea to whom you're speaking.
**I am glad your experience was better than most. I will leave speculation alone.

**Please feel free to do the same. Don't call me an Idiot or Ignorant and I won't make smart comments. Use your own advice.

**We agree to disagree. Have a nice day.

M

mipwtf

Lets keep in mind a PD is not serving for free (unless he's being held on tax fraud or something of the like). Our *wonderful* court system had a lovely, if not idealistic, theory that all people regardless of income (or guilt) are deserving of good representation which is why everybody pays taxes even if a PD is a service they will never require. Saying that one should expect PDs to be bad at their job because the are *free* is like saying we should expect public schools to be crappy (or atleast the one's in low income areas). Bad representation OFTEN puts the innocent away (even on death row) or gets them longer sentences than they deserve. In many cases, especially those involving poor defense, the court system does not work and does not provide justice in any sense of the word. The innocent are locked up daily, and the guilty frequently run loose. What can you do about it? Move to Canada.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">