• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hired Atty for Case/PD for Appeal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Missouri

1) My ex-husband has hired private attorneys for all of his previous criminal cases-there have been many. He has one already retained for one appeal of his sentence, and has other appeals and lawsuits pending he has filed himself with assistance from his friendly jailhouse lawyer/bookie. My question: He insists he can be appointed a public defender to pursue these appeals! Is this true?!

2) Can he not be ordered to pay the court costs and legal fees of the Missouri DOC and judges whose sentences he is contesting?

3) I received a copy of his latest letter/diatribe addressed to the head of MO DOC. In it, he berates him for his mistreatment in the courts and by the parole board and offers to drop all appeals and lawsuits if they will change his sentence from 3+ years to 45 days in Honor Center treatment or 84 day treatment in prison, their choice. Is this tampering with a witness or something similar, as this is the case he has an attorney retained to represent him?

Curiosity is killing me! Please let me know...Jane

calatty

If he can show he has no money, he would qualify for a state-paid attorney for his appeals after criminal trials and pleas, and some other legal actions, but not for civil suits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">