• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I petition to reinstate my right to bear arms?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kaotik_1

reinstate the right to bear arms

Can I reinstate my gun rights if past conviction was drug related and ten years ago? If so then, how do I start the process of reinstating my right to bear arms in California?

FlyingRon

Convicted in California you are out of luck. Even with a Governor's pardon you will not get the gun rights restored and federal law defers to California on gun rights restoration.

kaotik_1

Convicted in California you are out of luck. Even with a Governor's pardon you will not get the gun rights restored and federal law defers to California on gun rights restoration.
really?:confused: I got some bad info from another site, I guess. And I'm guessing that relocating to a different state wouldn't change anything for me, either? :(

FlyingRon

That is right. The federal law requires you to have full rights restoration in the state you were convicted in. That includes not just their approval to own weapons (which California isn't going to give you any) but the right to vote and serve on juries.

kaotik_1

military?

Ok last "dumb" question? What about Military service, would I still be eligible to join the armed forces? I am 26, have high school diploma, and have served my time. (no longer on parole or probation)

PS thank you for info. it's been very helpful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">